12. More than comfort

A month. Y/N spent a month in the hospital before she was discharged. The team visited her. Jack and Haley visited her. But, Hotch visited her more often than anyone else. Whenever he wasn't on a case with the team, he'd wake up an hour early just to visit Y/N before work, and he'd get home an hour late so he could visit Y/N after work.

Y/N couldn't lie. She loved Hotch's company. It was like being his girlfriend, without any actual commitment (even though she'd love nothing more than to be his girlfriend).

The morning Y/N was discharged, she packed her bag and signed a form, before hearing a knock at the hospital room door.

"Come in." Y/N spoke as she pulled the zipper of her bag. She turned around, seeing Hotch with a bouquet in his hands.

"You're being discharged today. Garcia told me." He smiled, walking over to her.

"Yeah. I can finally sleep in my own bed and eat my own food." Y/N chuckled lifting up her bag.

"Strauss has been informed of your discharge, and she's insisting that you take a physical and a psych eval after you're fully healed up. She's willing to still pay you for the weeks that you were out." Hotch smiled as he lifted Y/N's bag off the bed.

"She's "willing" to pay? How kind of her." Y/N rolled her eyes.

"Well, how about I take you home? I'm sure you could do with a nice change of scenery." Hotch and Y/N began to walk.

"Hotch..." Y/N stopped. Without warning, Y/N's arms were wrapped around Hotch's neck, trying to hug him without hurting herself more. She buried her head in his neck, feeling her bag drop from his hand as he wrapped his arms around her waist. He lifted her up slightly so there wouldn't be much pressure on her shoulder.

"...thank you. For everything." She could feel his grip on her tighten slightly, as if he was worried about losing her.

"You're welcome, Y/N." Hotch's heart raced when Y/N pulled away, placing a kiss on his cheek. He didn't hide his blush. He wanted Y/N to know how he felt about her. He had been hiding it for so long. But now, they were alone, heading toward his car that was parked near the hospital.

He didn't hesitate to help her. He helped her into his car. He helped her into her apartment. He helped her whenever he could. He hated seeing Y/N hurt, so if helping her prevented her from hurting, he'd do whatever it took.

Y/N and Hotch spent the morning talking about whatever cases the team had solved while she was in the hospital. When Emily called to see where Hotch was, he informed her that he didn't want Y/N to be left alone without company.

"Hotch, go into work. The team needs you." Y/N insisted, watching as a frown appeared on his face.

"I don't feel comfortable with you being here alone." Hotch shook his head.

"I can call Penelope and ask her for help. I promise to call and keep you updated." Y/N smiled, holding Hotch's hand.

"Are you sure?" Hotch asked.

"Yes. Now go! I'll still be here when you're done." Y/N nodded.

"Alright." He messaged Emily and then put his phone away.

"Say hello to the team for me." Y/N smiled.

"Of course." Hotch nodded. Without thinking, - and without care - Hotch bent down and placed a kiss on Y/N's forehead, watching as her cheeks turned a light shade of red. Like he had blushed when she kissed his cheek, she blushed when he kissed her forehead. He exhaled, making it clear that he didn't want to leave her, but he did anyway, leaving Y/N alone in her apartment.

———

At lunch time, Penelope was more than happy to come over to Y/N's apartment, a huge smile on her face.

"You look so much better!" Penelope gently wrapped her arms around Y/N.

"Thanks Garcia." Y/N smiled.

"Hotch told me to tell you that everyone's glad you're okay. He also wanted me to tell you that he's arranged for your favourite meal to be delivered tonight, since he's away on a case." Penelope smirked.

"Oh." Y/N smiled.

"So. You and Hotch, huh?" Penelope winked.

"Kind of? I'm not sure." Y/N exhaled.

"Well, if it's any consolation, I think you and Hotch would be great together! I mean, Haley is great and all, but you and Hotch compliment each other." Penelope smiled.