38. A talk with Strauss

A month later, Y/N was recovered - ending up with a pretty visible scar if she lifted her arms. She was given the 'all clear' from her doctors, which meant she was allowed to return to work. As for being allowed back in the field, well, that was a separate issue - an issue Y/N would happily deal with later. She had spent the past month being taken care of by her husband and son, both of whom seeming more than happy to help her. Y/N also dealt with the morning sickness that pregnancy had gifted her. She was grateful that her and Aaron's baby survived the surgery, but she really wished that the morning sickness would end. Because of the surgery, the OBGYN checked up on Y/N's baby every 4 days when she was in the hospital. When Y/N was allowed to go home, those check-ups got further apart, considering the baby was perfectly healthy and growing at the rate most babies would at the 2 month-mark.

As Penelope insisted, the team, plus Jess, had a make up wedding for Aaron and Y/N when she was given the 'all clear'. They did their vows, 'I do's' were said, kisses were shared between Y/N and Aaron. Y/N wore her gown - which made Aaron cry, seeing how beautiful she looked. She still fit in the dress, considering she wasn't past 10 weeks pregnant, so she wasn't showing yet.

Speeches were given by the team and Jack, who insisted on welcoming Y/N to the Hotchner family. Everyone - over the age of 21 - had a drink on behalf of Y/N, who was trying to keep herself from vomiting. Y/N managed to dance with every member of the BAU - Rossi and Derek being the best. She and Aaron shared their slow dance as husband and wife. Eventually the night ended, with everyone going home. Y/N and Aaron got Jack to bed and soon enough, they too were in bed after getting undressed. Y/N had removed her makeup and undid her hair while Aaron pulled back the duvet.

"I just realised, now that we're married, I'm also Agent Hotchner." Y/N chuckled.

"That's gonna be confusing." Aaron smiled.

"On paper, I'm Mrs. Y/N Hotchner. But I'm happy to keep going by Agent Y/L/N while at work and on cases?" Y/N offered.

"Sounds like a plan." Aaron nodded, placing a sweet kiss on Y/N's lips.

"You know, we should start looking for houses, considering an apartment won't be big enough for you, me, Jack and our baby Hotchner." Y/N suggested.

"I agree. But, we have 7 months to deal with that and everything else. For now, let's just enjoy being newly married. I love you, Mrs. Hotchner." Aaron smiled.

"I love you too, Mr. Hotchner." Y/N replied before falling asleep to the rhythm of Aaron's breathing.

———

Paperwork had taken over the day, much to the happiness of the BAU. Even if the team had gone on a case, Y/N wouldn't've gone along. She agreed that during the first trimester of the pregnancy, she'd stay back in the office with Penelope, just for comfort when it came to morning sickness. When the second trimester began and morning sickness stopped, she'd go along with the team for cases until she reached her last month of pregnancy.

Y/N arrived to work later than Aaron and everyone else, as she had spent the whole morning vomiting before Aaron dropped Jack off at school. She only got to work once she felt okay enough to drive without vomiting.

"Where's Aaron? I thought he got here before me?" Y/N questioned as she put her bag down on her desk.

"Oh, he did. Strauss decided to greet him outside the bullpen this morning." Derek rolled his eyes.

"Great." Y/N exhaled, knowing that she'd most likely pulled him into her office for a meeting.

Speaking of Aaron, he sat in Strauss' office, watching as she finished cleaning up the pile of paperwork on her desk.

"First of all, congratulations on the wedding and Y/N's pregnancy." Strauss smiled briefly, confusing Aaron.

"Penelope updated yours and Y/N's personnel files - which is protocol - and I was notified of the change. As for Y/N's pregnancy, as part of any cases where Agents are injured, I look over the incident report and I saw the test results." Strauss explained, clearly having read Aaron's confused expression.

"Not to sound rude, but is there a reason why I'm here? I have paperwork that I need to get done." Aaron exhaled.

"A White Collar Crime Task-Force will be coming into effect within the next few months, and I believe that it is in yours and Y/N's best interest that you consider taking the job as its leader. You'd work a normal 9-5 job, being home every night." Strauss nodded.

"It's in mine and Y/N's best interest?" Aaron tried not to chuckle.

"Yes. With your job, there's a chance you will go out on a case and never come back. I mean, Y/N, she's been shot on the job twice now. She has a scar on her shoulder and a scar under her rib. It was a miracle that you didn't lose her or the baby." Strauss insisted.

"Erin, I don't think it's really your call to decide mine or Y/N's future. If we want to stay within the BAU, then we'll stay with the BAU." Aaron shook his head.

"I am not focusing on Y/N at the moment. I am focusing on you, considering you are the Unit Chief of the BAU. You make all the decisions, and there is a chance that one split-second decision could go terribly wrong." Strauss tried to defend her opinion.

"The only people who will ever be able to change my mind are Y/N, our son and our future child." Aaron exhaled.

"So I'll focus on convincing Y/N, should I?" Strauss questioned.

"No. Leave Y/N alone. She's dealing with a lot a the moment with the pregnancy. The last thing she needs is you trying to convince her that her husband should leave the BAU. The whole BAU is a family. Making me leave, or making Y/N leave...it won't work. You'll have 6 Agents who hate you because you forced their family away." Aaron warned.

"You should be accepting this change. Do you not care that your wife is willingly putting herself and the life of your baby at risk by going into the field?" Strauss scoffed.

"We have a plan that's currently active. Yes, Y/N will come with us on cases, but like JJ, - when she was the BAU's communications liaison - Y/N will stay behind at the police departments. When she reaches her last month of pregnancy, she'll go on maternity leave." Aaron explained the plan, not sure why Strauss was trying to put Y/N into a negative light.