44. Lies revealed

"5 of you remained in the unit?" Senator Cramer asked, leaning forward.

"Agents Y/L/N, Rossi, Morgan, and I were there with our technical analyst Penelope Garcia." JJ confirmed.

"Hmm. You had 14 cases in that time." Cramer noted.

"17, sir." JJ corrected.

"Oh, yes. In 14 weeks. That's impressive. But what's more impressive is the fact that you were promoted and suspended in that short time. I believe that's a record, Agent Jareau." Cramer exhaled.

JJ exited the meeting and Y/N walked in. Jess had been babysitting Avery and Jack every time Y/N went to work.

"Two days?" Senator Cramer asked.

"That's correct." Y/N nodded.

"How can an investigation be active for just two days when the gathering of intel took months? There's surveillance and hundreds of man-hours to prove it." Cramer asked, confused.

"Yes, that's true, but-" Y/N nodded, but Cramer interrupted her.

"-how often do you spend months on a case, Agent?" Cramer glared at her.

"We don't, but this one was-" Once again, Y/N was cut off.

"Personal?" Cramer asked.

"-different. It required a lot of detail." Y/N tried not to get angry.

"If this was too big for your team, why wasn't it a joint task force?" Cramer's expression changed from frustration to confusion.

"We didn't have time, sir. Once the subject was confirmed, we had to act quickly." Y/N exhaled.

Y/N, Derek and JJ ran up the stairs of the building, their guns raised and ready. Derek kicked down the door and the three Agents immediately started searching for Doyle. The apartment was empty, but they found a vent open and realised that Doyle was trying to escape.

Derek was the first one up on the roof and after a good fight, Doyle had his hands up.

"I've got the shot, Agent." The sniper insisted.

"Don't take the shot! Don't shoot! I got him!" Derek demanded.

"Want to kill me yourself, Agent?" Doyle clenched his jaw.

———

"Do you realize what you've done?" Cramer angrily asked, glaring at JJ, who was now back in the meeting with Senator Cramer.

"Yes. We put an international criminal with terrorist connections in Federal custody." JJ nodded.

"You may consider that a victory, but you used government funds for a personal vendetta, never called Homeland Security, and now 6 people, including two of your Agents, are dead." Cramer shook his head.

"Interpol, Europol, the CIA. No one could locate Ian Doyle, except Agent Morgan." Cramer let the file in his hand flop onto the desk in front of him.

"Well, it wasn't easy. Doyle disappeared underground." JJ shook her head.

"It looks like Agent Morgan spent the first few months following Doyle's arms-dealing contacts but came up empty. So, how did he find him?" Cramer asked, leaning back.

"After hitting dead ends in that world, Agent Morgan put himself in Doyle's shoes and knew that he would be looking for his son, Declan." JJ spoke.

"Okay, Emily needed to get Declan a new identity. So she must have used someone she trusted." Penelope told as she sat down opposite Derek in his office.