34. A night to remember

(Took the idea of 'Proposal Rules' from Pinterest. Y/M/N: Your middle name.)

It had been 8 months since Y/N and Aaron celebrated their one-year anniversary. It had been 7 months since Y/N saved Marcy Owens. Aaron thought that proposing just after reaching the 6th-month mark would be a bit too soon, but waiting 9 months would be too long. So, Aaron spent 8 months preparing his proposal to Y/N. The only people who knew were Penelope, Jess, Jack and Strauss. Penelope knew because if Aaron started acting suspicious, Penelope would most likely convince herself to go behind his back and use her technical skills to find out why. Jess knew so that she could make sure Jack did everything Aaron had planned. Jack knew because he was part of his dad's plan. Strauss knew so that Aaron could make sure no cases came up.

Aaron followed a list of rules to make sure his proposal would be perfect.

Rule No. 1) Ask for parents' permission.

Y/N hadn't ever told the team about her parents. Not because of anything bad. They weren't dead. Neither of them were criminals. She hadn't done anything to get kicked out of her family. In reality, her parents were completely normal. Her mom was a registered nurse, and her dad worked in welding. Aaron's only explanation as to why she'd never mentioned her parents was simply why none of the team would mention their significant others - the dangers of being an FBI Agent. The moment family or outside friends became acquainted with the team, or had any sort of connection, they became targets.

Nevertheless, Aaron got into contact with Y/N's parents. He told them his name, his age and asked that if they wanted to know anything more about him, they'd be able to contact Penelope Garcia and she'd send them a whole file on who planned to marry their daughter. Were they confused - yes. But, he got permission.

Rule No. 2) Get the proposal on camera.

Aaron enlisted the help of Penelope to make sure that the proposal itself would be captured perfectly through video and through photos.

Rule No. 3) Use her full name.

Aaron had created a whole proposal speech that he practiced whenever he was alone. Whether he was doing dishes, or in the shower, he'd be practicing the speech so that he'd have no issue on the day that he actually proposed. It was always when saying her full name that he started to cry, knowing that there was a high chance she'd end up being his fiancée.

Rule No. 4) Get down on one knee.

Injury comes with the job of being an FBI Agent. Normally, Aaron would avoid getting down onto one or both of his knees, considering joint pain had become a part of Aaron's life. But for this special event, Aaron made sure that 1. he took some pain meds to make it easier for him, and 2. that he ignored whatever pain he'd experience, just to make Y/N happy.

Rule No. 5) Make it a surprise.

Aaron did everything in his power to keep the proposal a secret. No one in the team - besides Penelope - knew. Rossi had no idea, thinking that the team would just get together for dinner. Emily, JJ, Derek and Spencer would definitely have accidentally spoiled the surprise if they knew, considering secrets within the team didn't stay secret for long.

Rule No. 6) Nails, hair and outfit must be done.

Penelope was in charge of this rule. When Aaron asked that this rule be followed, she had no trouble setting everything up. She'd take Y/N outfit shopping 2 days before the special day, pretending that they were simply "updating" their wardrobes. She and the girls would get manicures and pedicures, as well as haircuts the day before.

Rule No. 7) Must have dated partner for more than 1 year and 6 months before proposal.

This rule had already been followed, considering Aaron was proposing 1 year and 8 months after he and Y/N started dating.

———

Aaron had suggested a "simple" team dinner, considering cases had ramped up and had gotten harder to solve, and he thought that the team needed a few days off, as well as a team dinner.

When Aaron arrived at Rossi's home 10 minutes early, Rossi caught a glimpse of Aaron and Jack making sure that the ring he had picked was still in Jack's pocket. That's when Rossi asked and Aaron confirmed that he planned to propose. The team had arrived at 7:15 PM and they all looked at Rossi in confusion when Rossi ushered them upstairs. 5 minutes later, Y/N arrived at Rossi's home, confused when she couldn't see anyone. She saw Aaron outside in Rossi's backyard.

Aaron looked behind him to see his beautiful girlfriend standing nearby. Her hair was perfect. Her dress flowed in the soft wind. Her nails were beautiful and he knew the ring would fit with her outfit.

"Aaron, where is everyone else? Wasn't dinner supposed to be at 7:20?" Y/N asked, confused.

"They're late, and Rossi's upstairs fixing something briefly." Aaron lied.

"Oh." Y/N smiled.

Aaron glanced around the yard, knowing that there was a hidden camera that had started recording the moment Y/N walked out to the backyard. He also knew that Penelope was somewhere around, ready to take the perfect proposal photo.

"We need to talk." Aaron spoke, trying not to concern Y/N.

"Is...everything okay?" Y/N asked, confused.

"You've been my rock since the night I was served with divorce papers. You helped me keep a solid relationship with Jack, even when my relationship with Haley was over. You convinced me to take a step back and collect myself in the middle of a case, with no concern for the possibility of Strauss punishing us." Aaron started, trying to keep himself from crying.

"When Christopher Henson shot you, I flew into panic mode. I was filled with pain, anxiety and worry. I was so scared that you weren't going to make it and when they told me that you were stable and out of surgery, I had never felt more relieved. I helped you for so long because being away from you was hell for me." Aaron wiped a tear from Y/N's eyes.

"Our first kiss was a kiss I had been waiting for. I hadn't had a kiss that passionate since before Haley and I got divorced. But...when Haley died, you were there for me. You were there for Jack, and I'll spend the rest of my life, or hopefully...our life, thanking you for that. You made me realise that love wasn't lost, and I still had hope for a better future, a future with you." Aaron glanced behind him and watched as Jack walked toward him and Y/N, giving him a hug. He quickly slipped the ring box into his hand before giving Y/N a hug and walking away. Aaron got down onto his knee while Y/N looked at him in shock and surprise.

"Y/N Y/M/N Y/L/N, will you make me the happiest man, and marry me?" Aaron asked as he opened the ring box.

"Yes!" Y/N nodded with so much passion, pulling Aaron off his knee. Without hesitation, Aaron put the ring on Y/N's left ring finger and pulled her in for a passionate kiss, a smile on both their faces.

"YOU PROPOSED?!" Emily and JJ yelled in unison.

"AND SHE SAID YES!" Derek cheered as he and Spencer clapped.

"Surprise!" Penelope revealed her location, two cameras in her hands.

"This camera is perfect for reliving the beautiful speech given by our very own Aaron Hotchner." Penelope lifted the camera in her left hand.

"And this camera is perfect for reliving the moment Hotch got down on one knee, and the moment he put the - absolutely gorgeous - ring on her finger." Penelope lifted the camera in her right hand.

"You said yes, momma!" Jack cheered, Y/N picking him up.

"I did say yes. Your dad and I are gonna get married!" Y/N chuckled.

"YAY!" Jack kept cheering.

Penelope took a photo of Aaron and Y/N with her ring on display and sent the photo to Y/N's parents and Jess with the caption, 'She said yes!'.