29. Unique confirmation

Aaron had been to a few weddings over the years. Some weddings were for friends of Haley's, others were for friends of his. At each ceremony, the man or woman who proposed would reveal the moment they knew they wanted to marry their partner. Aaron himself had that moment with Haley.

Meeting Haley was a mistake. It was never supposed to happen. She was rehearsing a role in 'The Pirates of Penzance', and he walked into the theatre club by mistake. For him, it was love at first sight and he even took a minor part as 'fourth pirate' just to be close to her. The rest was history, and even though their story ended too soon, Aaron would never forget the moment he knew he wanted to marry Haley.

Aaron would also never forget the moment he knew he wanted to marry Y/N.

It came on what started out as a normal day. While making lunch for Aaron and Jack, Y/N looked over at Aaron, who was packing his briefcase.

"Hey, Jack. If your teacher's feedback is positive, we'll get some ice-cream on the way home." Y/N looked at Jack, who was putting his cup in the dishwasher.

"Really?!" Jack got excited.

"Yep." Y/N smiled as Aaron chuckled.

Jack ran off, going to get his school bag.

"What's this about getting ice-cream?" Aaron smiled, placing a kiss to Y/N's forehead.

"I was thinking...maybe I could come with you to the parent-teacher conference?" Y/N suggested.

"R- Really? You'd want to come?" Aaron was surprised.

"Yes. You care about Jack's education, and so do I. I want to help him succeed and I can't do that if I'm not aware of things he can improve on in school." Y/N nodded.

"Sure, you can come. I just...wasn't expecting you to be interested. That's all." Aaron nodded, grabbing the container that Y/N handed to him.

Jack was then dropped off at school, Aaron and Y/N heading into the BAU bullpen by 8:30 AM.

"Just FYI, Y/N and I are working a half day today, as we're going to Jack's school this afternoon for parent-teacher conferences." Aaron announced as Y/N sat down at her desk.

"What about cases?" Penelope asked confused.

"We'll be on the next flight to wherever the case is once the parent-teacher conferences are done." Y/N smiled.

"Ah, yes. Parent-teacher conferences. A few select days throughout the year where teachers can - knowingly - talk crap about their students and call it 'constructive criticism'." Derek laughed.

"Derek's right. When it comes to parent-teacher conferences, students are either really worried, because their parents are going to find out about many things their kids purposely don't tell them, or they relaxed, because they were well-behaved enough to get by unnoticed. Isn't that right, Derek?" Emily chuckled.

"I don't really remember any of my parent-teacher conferences. What about you, Emily?" Derek shook his head.

"I never stayed in one place long enough to experience a parent-teacher conference. JJ?" Emily looked over at JJ, who shrugged her shoulders.

"I was well-behaved and I got good grades, so I was in the clear. Spence?" JJ smiled, turning her attention to Spencer.

"My mother wasn't available and my dad wasn't around, so I attended my own parent-teacher conferences." Spencer admitted.

"Kid, you graduated from high-school at 12 years old. When would you have attended any parent-teacher conferences?" Derek chuckled.

"I'm sure I attended a few when I was a child." Spencer shrugged his shoulders.