27. Temporary separation

GENERAL
When Aaron watched Y/N leave their bedroom, he didn't go after her. It was clear that she needed space, and he'd give her space. Moments after hearing the apartment door shut, Aaron watched as Jessica walked up to the bedroom, her arms crossed. He was unsure if Y/N had told Jessica what happened.

"I'm sorry that you lost a friend, Aaron. But, judging by Y/N's behaviour when she got home, you messed up." Jessica glared at him.

"H- How much do you know?" Aaron asked, curious.

"The Agent that died, she looked like Haley." Jessica exhaled.

"The explosion...it all happened so fast." Aaron tried to defend himself.

"Don't tell me. It's Y/N who needs an explanation when she's ready." Jessica shook her head, before saying goodbye to Jack.

"Daddy, why's momma not here?" Jack asked as he locked the apartment door behind his aunt.

"She's going to stay with your aunt Penelope for a few days." Aaron tried to explain, but he couldn't figure out a proper way for Jack to understand.

"Female stuff." Aaron looked at Jack, who nodded, accepting the answer he was given.

Jack was put to bed shortly after, having requested to read one of the books that Y/N had once given to him. As soon as Jack was asleep, Aaron went to bed himself, but his descent into sleep wasn't easy.

Aaron stood at an altar, surrounded by flowers, beautiful decorations and his friends and family. Right in front of him was Y/N, in a flawless white gown. Aaron looked down, seeing that he wore a suit.

"If there is anyone who objects to the union of Aaron Hotchner and Y/N Y/L/N, speak now or forever hold your peace." The officiant exhaled. Mere seconds later, Y/N glared at Aaron and ripped the gold band off her finger.

"You chose to comfort a woman who looked like your dead ex-wife, over me. I'm your girlfriend!" She slapped Aaron hard across the face before running back down the altar.

The scene quickly changed, and he was back to where the SUV had exploded.

Aaron's heart dropped in fear when he saw Y/N on the ground, coughing up blood.

"Y/N. Y/N, we're gonna get you out of here, okay? We're gonna get you out of here. Y/N, I need you to wake up. Stay with me. Stay with me." Aaron lifted Y/N's body off the ground, trying to give her as much comfort as possible. He didn't care that her blood would stain his shirt. All he cared about was Y/N's survival.

"I feel cold. It's such a cliché, isn't it? I feel cold." She chuckled after coughing up more blood.

"Y/N, stay with us, please We're here! Please! Please! We're here! Someone!" Aaron yelled as he looked toward the barricade at the end of the street.

10 minutes later, Morgan ran up to Aaron and Y/N.

"Oh my- Y/N! Hotch!" Morgan gasped.

"Morgan, we've got to get her out of here." Aaron begged.

"They're not letting any ambulances down here 'til they clear the scene. Kid, you gotta get behind the barricades. Let's go. Go!" Morgan watched as the kid ran off, now focusing his attention back to Aaron, Y/N and Kate.

"This is FBI Agent Derek Morgan. We have 3 Federal Agents down!" Morgan spoke into his comms system.

"Morgan, she's gonna bleed and choke to death on her own blood if we don't get her out of here. We gotta do something." Aaron begged.

"Please have service. Please have service. Please have service. Please have service." Morgan begged as he grabbed his phone and dialled Garcia's number.

"Garcia, I got Hotch, Y/N and Kate. But listen to me. You gotta get somebody down here right away, you hear me? Right now." Morgan insisted.

After a few minutes, two ambulances had pulled up, one E.M.T. in each. Aaron sat with Y/N as she was put into the back of the ambulance. He held her hand, trying not to cry.

Hours later, Aaron walked toward the O.R., confused. The doctor who had been in charge of Y/N's care was walking out, taking his gloves off.

"What's happening? Where's the surgeon?" Aaron asked, confused.

"We did all that we could. I'm so sorry." The doctor explained, allowing Aaron to enter the - now empty - O.R.

Aaron glanced down at the pools of blood on the floor near the operating table. That's when he saw Y/N. Her lifeless body rested on the table, as pale as a sheet of paper. Her eyes were closed.

"Y- Y/N. I- I'm so sorry. I love you." Aaron cried as he lifted Y/N's body off the table briefly. He held her body against his, exactly how he had with Haley's body after she died.

To say that Aaron didn't get much sleep that night would've been an understatement.

Y/N
Penelope was like a therapist, but free. You walked into her home, watching as she excitedly grabbed some food, some (non-alcoholic) drinks and some movies.

"I know you're here to get some space from Hotch, so we're going to forget about him for the night." She suggested.

You immediately went for the large bottle of wine on her kitchen bench, but she stopped you.

"Oh, no. Not the wine. First of all, you're still taking meds for your injuries so NO ALCOHOL. Secondly, if you drink wine, then I'll have to drink wine and then we'll both end up doing something stupid and that wouldn't be good for either of us." She put the bottle into the refrigerator.

"Then why was it out?" You asked, confused.

"Before you came over, I'd planned to drink some wine and enjoy a movie, and I forgot to put it away." She chuckled.

The night went on. Non-alcoholic drinks were consumed, snacks were eaten, secrets were shared and movies were watched. By 11:50 PM, the most recent movie was practically over and you were crying. Why? Because the main male character confessed his wrong-doings and apologised to the main female character in the last 5 minutes of the movie in order to win her back.

Your tears slowly dried up though, as you were now angry as you thought of Hotch.

"Hotch is an asshole, right?" You looked at Penelope, who exhaled, confused.

"That depends. Are you angry that Kate looked like Haley, or are you angry that Hotch chose to comfort her instead of you?" Penelope sipped her drink.

"Both, kind of." You rolled your eyes.

"I'm here to listen. You tell me exactly how you're feeling." Penelope smiled.

"From the moment we met Kate, it was clear that she looked like Haley, and that's why she and Hotch were so close. Of course, I don't doubt that Hotch shut down any behaviour on Kate's part that wasn't work appropriate, I mean, he told me himself that nothing happened, and I believe him." You started, watching as Penelope nodded.

"I know that Hotch will always love Haley. I knew that when we first started dating, and I didn't care. What I care about...is the fact that because Kate looked like Haley, that's why he immediately rushed to her after the explosion. I am his girlfriend, sure, but he lost Haley to an unsub, and he probably worried that he'd lose Kate to an unsub as well. I mean, Kate's injuries were worse than mine, but it still hurt." You looked down.

"Now we're getting somewhere. From what you just told me, you believe that because Kate looked like Haley, Hotch gravitated toward comforting her more than he did you." Penelope clarified.

"Exactly. But does that make me selfish?" You asked, confused.

"No, it doesn't. Hotch knew Kate before he joined the BAU, she looked like Haley and you worried that - because of Kate's similarity to Haley - he'd prefer to be with her over you. Your feelings are completely valid, Y/N." Penelope reassured you.