37. Good news and new beginnings

"The test result shows that your fiancée is around 4 weeks pregnant. The OBGYN has also confirmed this, hence their presence in the O.R. We will do everything we can to make sure that both Y/N and the baby make it out of the surgery alive."

Nurse Stanton's reveal played in Aaron's mind for the remainder of the night. He was stuck. He couldn't move. The news was bittersweet for him. On one hand, he was overjoyed. He and Y/N were finally going to expand their family. On the other hand, he was terrified. Y/N was still in surgery, still fighting for her life as well as the life of hers and Aaron's unborn baby that she didn't even know existed.

That was, if she knew before he did.

No.

Aaron denied the idea that Y/N knew about her pregnancy before getting shot. She hadn't noticed any symptoms, and if she had, she would've told him. Regardless of if she knew, Aaron hoped that Nurse Stanton would walk out to the waiting room and either make him extremely happy, or make him extremely sad.

"Aaron." Jess walked up to the man who lifted his head from his hands, exhaling.

The moment she wrapped her arms around her ex-brother-in-law, he immediately broke down and cried.

"S- She's going to be okay." Jess rubbed his back. Someone in the team had clearly filled her in on what had happened, at least, the 'getting shot' part.

"It's not just her." Aaron sobbed, realising that Jack wasn't with Jess. She clearly had dropped Jack with JJ, who had taken care of Jack on multiple occasions.

"What do you mean?" Jess asked, curious.

"She's pregnant. 4 weeks." Aaron breathed as he continued crying.

"I believe that Haley is watching over Y/N right now. She'll ensure that Y/N and the baby will survive." Jess ensured.

"Yeah. She will." Aaron decided to agree with Jess.

"Mr. Hotchner?" He heard the familiar voice, and pulled away from Jess.

"Is she- Are they okay?" Aaron tried to keep anymore tears from spilling down his cheeks.

"The surgery is complete. The wound was repaired. Y/N is stable, and your baby is still alive." Nurse Stanton smiled as she guided Aaron to the private hospital room.

"Thank you." Aaron hugged Nurse Stanton, who nodded.

"No thanks necessary. According to the surgeon, the procedure was much easier once the baby was identified and monitored. The OBGYN who was in the O.R. with Y/N will be back every 2 hours to monitor the baby." Nurse Stanton informed before excusing herself.

Aaron moved into the room, Jess following him. He glanced down at Y/N, who was still asleep. She had a nasal cannula and needles in her wrist and arm. She looked peaceful.

"Her finger looks quite bare." Jess nudged Aaron, who quickly took the engagement out of his pocket and placed it back on her left ring finger, immediately breaking down again.

"Is Jack with JJ?" Aaron asked.

"Yes. I can get him here if you'd like?" Jess nodded.

"Uh, no. I want to wait until Y/N is awake and knows what's going on." Aaron shook his head, holding Y/N's hand.

"All right. I'll be back later." Jess smiled.

Hour 6:
No changes. Aaron rested his head and kept himself from breaking down. The last thing he wanted was for Y/N to wake up and see him crying. His right hand held Y/N's hand, while his left hand gently rested on Y/N's lower stomach, where the baby would be. He gave her stomach a kiss and spoke to the baby. He knew deep down that the baby was far too small to hear anything, but he wanted to start early. He wanted their baby to know his voice as soon as possible. Talking to her stomach - and in turn their baby - also made a good distraction.