35. Best decision

Y/N and Hotch had been engaged for just over a week when she had asked Penelope to be her maid of honor. She knew that 1. Penelope would claim to be "fine", but secretly despise Y/N for not picking her, and 2. she knew how to make events lavish and beautiful. Penelope being Y/N's maid of honor also meant that whenever a case wasn't happening or Y/N wasn't at home with Hotch, she was at Penelope's house with JJ and Emily, discussing everything from bouquets to table settings.

"How much money are you and Hotch planning to spend?" JJ asked as Y/N sipped her wine.

"I- I don't know. I've never been one to imagine a big wedding and Hotch's already been married once, so I'm sure he'd want something small as well." Y/N admitted.

"No. Whether you're getting married for the first time - or in Rossi's case fourth time - you deserve a big and beautiful wedding, Y/N!" Penelope shook her head.

Y/N continued to talk to the ladies, eventually getting a message from Hotch.

Hotch: Case time.

Y/N exhaled, showing the message to Penelope, JJ and Emily. They groaned, but nodded, everyone heading back to their places to grab their go bags - except Penelope, as they were at her place.

30 minutes later, everyone was at the office, taking their seats in the conference room.

"Let's get started." Hotch nodded

"Okay. Savannah, Georgia, known for its charm and southern hospitality, though not so much for Brandy Green of Dover, Delaware, because 3 months ago, she came to town for a bachelor party, and after a night of bar hopping with her bridesmaids, ended up in a dumpster in a back alley. Cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head." Penelope pressed a button, revealing a photo of the victim.

"What's that wrapped around her face?" JJ asked, curious.

"That would be sash she was wearing all night that says 'Bride-to-Be' embroidered on it?" Penelope wondered.

"The wrapping could be ritualistic, like a shroud of some sort." Derek suggested.

"Or a sign of the killer's remorse." Emily glanced at Derek.

"But this happened 3 months ago. Why are we getting this now?" Rossi asked, confused.

"Because two days ago, the body of Ashley Wilcox of Dayton, Ohio, was also found in an alley dumpster in Savannah. And she also had blunt force trauma, but she was strangled to death with her 'Bride-to-Be' sash." Penelope explained.

"It's unlikely the work of the same jilted lover, since the two women lived in different states hundreds of miles apart." Spencer shook his head.

"They could be surrogates. Any sign of sexual assault?" Y/N looked at Penelope, who sat down.

"None on Brandy. We don't know about Ashley yet." Penelope answered Y/N's question.

"What's interesting is the unsub doesn't care about hiding the bodies very well." Hotch furrowed his eyebrows.

"Well, he'd have to be physically fit to lift the bodies into the dumpsters. He could be sending a message that to him women are trash, disposable." JJ suggested.

"No, this is about marriage. He's taking these brides on the eve of what should be the happiest day of their lives. He wants to crush that. Their weddings have become their wakes." Y/N shook her head, slightly fidgeting with her engagement ring. She could feel Hotch's eyes on her as she did this.

———

Just before getting onto the jet, Hotch reached out and stopped Y/N, who exhaled.