24. A nightmare turned dream

Nightfall quickly approached, but the team were up and running as soon as the early morning came.

"Okay. Got it." JJ exhaled as she ended the call, entering the conference room. Emily and Garcia were sitting at the round table, Sarah sitting nearby, just watching the three women work.

"Aimee's mom was distracted by a mother looking for her daughter, and she's blaming herself for looking away." Emily noted as Garcia typed away at her laptop.

"Wait. Sarah said the same thing when Charlie was taken. There was a mother searching for her lost son." JJ looked at Sarah, who gasped.

"Do you think...do you think it's a coincidence?" Sarah exhaled, looking at the three women as they glanced at each other.

"Or what? A ruse? A woman looking for her lost son...that's pretty specific, right?" Garcia clarified.

"Add to that a target-rich environment with no security? Yeah." Emily nodded.

"Okay, so, if the woman was a distraction, who took Aimee? A partner?" Garcia looked at JJ, who looked at the map up on the screen to her left.

"Well, if it's the same people, they've been doing this for close to a decade." JJ nodded.

"I told you." Sarah smiled briefly, seeming happy that her son's abduction was finally being investigated.

———

"So that's it, then?" Mr. Lynch furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as Derek and Spencer stood up to leave the house.

"No, it isn't." Derek shook his head.

"Well, why are you leaving?" Mr. Lynch growled, not meaning to sound so rude.

"Every available cop in the state is out looking for your daughter." Derek assured Mr. Lynch, who shook his head.

"Who's been gone for more than 24 hours. I think we both know what that means." Mr. Lynch rolled his eyes.

"Percentile-wise we do, but every case is based on its own merit." Derek explained, earning a confused look from Mr. Lynch.

"Well, what merit is this case?" Mr. Lynch crossed his arms.

"Sir, Aimee was taken at high risk by whoever took her. It means it was organized, meticulously planned, and likely more than one person." Spencer explained, trying to keep Mr. Lynch calm.

"And this suggests they intend on keeping her." Derek added.

"Keeping her? For what?" Mr. Lynch looked at Spencer and Derek with fear.

"Frank?" Mrs. Lynch called out to her husband, who refused to look at her.

"Keeping her means that she's alive, and I think that's really all you need to focus on right now." Derek nodded.

"Are you leaving?" Mrs. Lynch eyed Derek and Spencer, both of whom exhaled.

"Ma'am, our profile remains, as do hundreds of officers and many Agents looking for your daughter. Now, if there's any information pertaining to Aimee, then we'll be back." Spencer reassured the worried man and woman.

"Mr. Lynch, I think you should know that nothing could have stopped these people from taking your daughter." Derek shook his head.

"Yeah, well, I would have never let go of her hand." Mr. Lynch rolled his eyes.

"Frank, please. Frank." Mrs. Lynch begged as she walked after her husband, who refused to look at her.