21. A family forever changed

Within the BAU, Haley Brooks - formerly Hotchner - was family. No one would ever doubt that. She was family when she and Aaron were married. She was still family even after she and Aaron divorced. So, when she and Jack were targeted by Foyet, no one wanted to stop until they had Foyet in custody and Haley and Jack were safe. Unfortunately for them, the universe had other plans.

The night before Haley's funeral, Aaron was up until 11:45 PM, still trying to figure out what he was going to say during the service. He cursed at himself multiple times and there were a few tears shed as he sat in his study, away from Y/N, who was sleeping in their bedroom.

A few months after Haley and Jack were taken to safety, Aaron asked Y/N to move in with him. She didn't hesitate to agree and within 3 weeks, her apartment was sold and she had moved her stuff into Aaron's apartment - all of this done without any of the team noticing or suspecting. He would eventually want to move into a bigger place, if he and Y/N ever decided to expand their family, but for now, their shared apartment was all they needed.

Aaron looked out at the moon from his desk, Haley's image in his mind.

"I miss you so much, Haley. I'm so sorry that I wasn't fast enough." Aaron exhaled, holding his pen in his hand.

He hadn't even written a single word on the paper in front of him. He refused to believe that Haley was actually gone, even though he had held onto her body and cried less than an hour after she was shot. Her life shouldn't've ended the way it did. Aaron - on his and Haley's wedding night - was sure that they'd grow old together and he wanted to pass away before her, so he'd never have to live without her. Even if they had divorced, - which was the case - he'd still see her through Jack, but he'd end up reading about her passing in the obituary.

Aaron even cursed at himself for letting Foyet's case end the way it did. When Foyet first resurfaced after Shaunessy's death, Aaron assumed that he'd be apprehended the same way any regular unsub would've. He never intended for Foyet to escape and he certainly never intended for Haley and Jack to be put in danger, but unfortunately, that's how everything happened.

Sam Kassmeyer - a noble U.S. Marshal - lost his life protecting Haley and Jack as if they were his own, just like he said he would.

Haley Brooks - an amazing mother and wife - lost her life, eventually knowing that she wasn't going to make it. She knew that she'd be dead before Aaron could get to her, so she made him promise that he'd show Jack that love was the most important thing.

———

Aaron woke up at 10 AM the next morning, intending to go and wake up Jack, but he was surprised to find Y/N in the kitchen making breakfast while Jack watched cartoons in the living room. Y/N was wearing her funeral outfit, while Jack wore his suit pants and a pyjama shirt, as to not dirty his whole outfit. This is why he loved Y/N. Even when he was fast asleep, he knew he could count on Y/N to get the morning started, even on such a painful day like this one.

The ride to the cemetery was difficult. Aaron couldn't focus, so he let Y/N drive. Jack moved a toy car along his suit pants in the back. While Aaron and Jack chatted to family and friends at the grave, Y/N popped to the local florist, intending to get 11 roses. One for each of the team, one for Jessica, one for Jack, one for Haley and Jessica's father, one for Y/N, and one for Aaron.

"Has anyone seen Y/N? The service is about to start." Emily asked, looking around. 2 minutes later, Emily watched as Y/N parked Aaron's car before heading toward the ceremony with the flowers in her hand.

"Why did you just come in Hotch's car?" Emily looked at Y/N, curious.

"You can ask the questions I know you want to ask later. For now, let's just get through the funeral." Y/N nodded, walking with Emily. Y/N passed a flower to each person, before she sat down beside Aaron, Jack now sitting on her lap.