20. Lost...but never forgotten

A lot can change in 48 hours, and indeed, a lot did.

From the moment Karl Arnold revealed that Foyet was back, Hotch and Y/N didn't waste a moment. They drove all the way back to Quantico by themselves and requested a meeting with Strauss. In said meeting, Y/N, Hotch and Strauss came to the conclusion that telling the team was necessary. The more people involved increased the likelihood of Foyet ending up in custody. But, when it came to Y/N and Hotch's involvement, - specifically Hotch's involvement - Strauss basically forced Hotch to step down. He would step down as Unit Chief and Derek would temporarily take his place.

"With all due respect, Erin, but you cannot bench me! Not when we're so close to catching Foyet." Hotch argued, shaking his head as he paced.

"I am not benching you, Aaron. I am merely making sure that George Foyet's capture is free of any emotional involvement. Who knows what might happen if you were to find and try to arrest him. Your ex-wife and son are directly involved, Aaron." Erin warned.

"Erin, I can't just sit back and let Derek take over. I know he is more than capable of leading the BAU, but I know this case better than anyone." Hotch insisted.

"I am well aware of your knowledge of George Foyet's case. Dave has been keeping me updated." Erin raised her eyebrow. She was clearly not impressed.

"As for you, Y/N, I am requesting that you keep an eye on Aaron. With your relationship, I am sure that you will be able to keep Aaron level-headed." Strauss insisted.

"Strauss, I am not babysitting Aaron. He is more than capable of temporarily stepping down without needing a babysitter." Y/N exhaled.

"Y/N. Both you and Aaron are emotionally involved with this case. Haley is Aaron's ex-wife and Jack is his son. That is why Foyet is targeting them. As for you, you are dating Aaron and you are very close with Haley and Jack - through Aaron. We all know that the moment Aaron sets his eyes on Foyet, all rationality will fly out the window, so I am not asking you to babysit Aaron. I am ordering you, as your Section Chief." Strauss exhaled, clasping her hands together.

Once the meeting with Strauss was over, Hotch called the team and asked them to get back to Quantico ASAP, and within 2 hours and 30 minutes, everyone was sitting in the conference room, eyeing Hotch.

"While talking with Karl Arnold, Y/N and I discovered that Foyet is back. He is the one who sent the mail to Arnold. He was using Arnold to taunt us." Hotch announced.

"So, what's being done? We're going after him, right?" Derek asked, concerned.

"Yes. Strauss believed it be best if we all worked the case, but..." Hotch stopped talking, trying not to get emotional. He hated stepping down, and Y/N knew this, so she took over.

"But what?" Rossi asked, confused.

"As of 2 hours and 30 minutes ago, the BAU team is under new leadership. In order for Hotch to continue working the case, he - hesitantly - agreed to temporarily step down as Unit Chief, in order to make sure that Foyet believes Hotch has given up. Derek, you have been selected by Strauss to take over Hotch's position." Y/N announced.

"What? No! I am not taking your job, Hotch. No way." Derek argued.

"Shaunessy lost everything because of his battle against Foyet. If we're going to get the upper hand, Foyet needs to believe that Hotch is giving up, hence why he is temporarily stepping down. Once Foyet is in custody, Hotch will return to his position as Unit Chief - upon Strauss' approval." Y/N explained.

"We know this isn't ideal, but right now, we need to focus on stopping Foyet." Rossi insisted.

"How do we start?" Derek looked at Y/N and Hotch, both of whom exhaled.