Trouvaille

The next morning, I feel better about things. It's a new day to begin moving forward. I don't worry about the blonde boy; I just dismiss him. I drag myself out of bed and everything is just the same as the morning before. I make it onto the bus without incident and to Algebra without seeing the teen.

I was resolved to forget about him when I woke up, but that has proven to be a challenge. I feel stupid for even looking for him, but I do. He is cute and just seeing him makes my stomach flip. I try my best to focus on my studies; but it's hard when all I want to do is think about this stupid boy. I don't even know his name! And he tried to kiss me! I should be disgusted just at the thought of him; but instead I want to see him again. Just a glimpse is all I want.

I sigh, staring at my sneakers. "Miss. Suffolk?" I hear my Algebra teacher, Mrs. Summer say.

I look up startled. "Yes?" She is standing at the board, an equation displayed on the board, without the answer of course. I stare at her and she looks confused and worried.

"Do you know how to solve this?" She asks timidly.

"Oh...yes." I say once I look it over. My face turns red and then I clear my throat. I give her my answer and she nods in approval, but she continues to look confused as she finishes the lesson. She keeps looking over at me to make sure I am listening and I try my best to watch her, so she doesn't call me out again.

When the bell rings for first period to end, I grab my things and head to the door. I'm glad to get out of that class, I was feeling so stupid.

"Miss Suffolk?" I hear my teacher say again. I turn to her, and she motions for me to come to her desk. I swallow and head toward her.

"Yes, Mrs. Summer?"

"Is everything alright?" She asks, her hands folded under her chin, her head resting on them.

I nod. "Yes, everything is fine. Why?"

She shrugs. "You just seemed distracted during class. Usually, you're the first one to answer the question. I was just checking." She smiles.

I give her a smile back, and shake my head. "Everything is fine. Thank you though."

"Alright. Well you should go, I don't want you to be late." She says sitting back in her chair.

As I leave, I'm angry with myself. It's because of that stupid boy. I walk to my next class, fuming, and then I see him. He is standing outside, leaning against a window, a cigarette in his mouth. He looks so cool, standing there, tall and punk. Since when was I attracted to the punk guys? Since when was I attracted to anyone? I needed to talk to Alex about this, I'm getting worried. I can't like a guy who acts like him. That would just ruin me.

___

That night I finish my homework before 7, when my family and I have dinner. I'm happy that I got it done so quickly. I even checked over all of it to make sure it was correct. Sandra comes up to get me and I follow her downstairs. My parents are still in their work clothes, but I've changed into sweatpants and my ratty old sweater with the word Disneyland spelled across it. It was something Alex's mom, Mrs. Neptune, got me for my birthday.

My mom eyes me and leans in to say to me, "When you have a meal with your parents, you shall come dressed appropriately. I don't want to see this outfit ever again at dinner. Is that clear?" Her eyes flash with anger and I nod my head, looking down at my gray pants.

We eat in silence for a good 5 minutes before my dad says, "How did you do on your biology test?"

I nod and smile. "Very well, sir. I got a perfect score."