Scintillate

I decide to meet my parents at the same coffee shop a month later. I thought about inviting them over to my place but my mom would probably have a heart attack and my dad would call the police to literally drag me out of there, so my house was a no. I sit at a table near the back with a giant coffee. I tap my shoes on the floor, looking around, trying to calm myself down. Chris offered to come today, but they reacted to him terribly last time and I know I will blow up at them again if they say something rude. Then there will be no hope of moving forward.

I see them walk in, they are tense and look at everyone with judgment and disgust, well at least my dad does. They see me near the back and walk over to me. My mom's black heels click against the floor, she stands tall and proud. My father has on his usual suit with a red tie that shines in the light. I notice that his hair is starting to go gray, how old is he again? They sit down with me and my dad begins,

"Hello Samantha."

"Hey."

"You wanted to talk to us?" My mom says.

"Yes, I have talked to someone since the last time we talked and...if the offer is still on the table I would be very thankful if you paid for my college tuition.

My dad nods in approval. "Good, what college do you want to go to? Yale, Harvard, Brown?"

"I was thinking something local. I just want to be a music teacher."

They sit there quietly for a minute and then my dad blows up. "A MUSIC TEACHER?" Heads turn just at his voice. "What are you thinking? You are going to be a doctor if I have anything to do with it!"

"That's fine, I guess I'll just go to junior college like I planned." I get up and start to leave, but my mom's hand wraps around my wrist.

"Wait." She looks at my father. "A music teacher isn't that...bad."

I raise my eyebrows. Is she on crack or something? My dad must be thinking the same thing because he looks shocked. He whispers, "What are people going to think? Our only daughter is going to be a music teacher? She comes from a family of doctors and lawyers, they are going to think we couldn't control her."

I smirk, it's the truth.

"I know, but I think it's more important that we mend our relationship with our daughter than care what people think." My mom says.

He sits back, still surprised. So am I, I mean she doesn't care what people think anymore? She somehow cares about me now? I can't believe this. I sit back down slowly, staring at her the entire time. Dad and mom stare at each other, they have a sort of eye-fight, a little head movement but no talking. My dad finally sighs and nods.

"Alright, where do you want to go?"

"Columbia College, I sent in a application and they accepted me but it seems sort of late now. I don't know if I can get in anymore."

"Don't worry about that, I have my ways." My dad says.

Then we sit in silence, I figure I should say thank you. I hate to say it though, I despise these people. "Thank you, I appreciate it."

"Of course." My mom reaches over and pats my arm. "We want you to be happy."

I give her a confused look again. "Did something happen? You're being very...nice."

She smiles. "I have just realized what's important."

"Really?" I say in a monotone voice.

She nods. "I went on a trip and I learned a lot."

"You are going crazy." My dad mutters. He shakes his head and sighs. He stands up and nods to me. "Good meeting with you, I hope we can get you in, I'll...how do I contact you?"