Appetence

The following Friday, Jenna, Jesse, Ian, Chris, Scott, and I head out to the safe haven once more. The journey there is quiet. We are all nervous to see what it has become. Jesse has Bring Me the Horizon playing, but I can barely hear it. I hold Chris's hand tightly, all these memories are flooding back, all the drama and worry.

"You ok?" He asks me.

I nod. "Yeah, just nervous I guess."

He smiles. "It's going to be fine."

"Yeah." I whisper.

We stop for sandwiches and sit in a booth eating slowly. "This is pathetic guys." Ian mentions.

"Yeah, come on there has to be something to talk about." Jenna says.

We all look at each other, and nothing comes to mind. Ian and Jenna sigh and we return to silence. Once we get to our destination, I think it is safe to say we are all shocked. It's...new, remodeled, beautiful. We all get out and stare at the new building. The walls that were once gray are now a light brown, and the broken glass windows are repaired, with a beautiful deep brown door as an entrance.

Ian walks up to the front while the rest of us wait. He knocks on the door and waits a few seconds. He is turning around when someone opens up.

"Should we run?" Chris asks us, but no one answers.

Ian talks to the man and then waves us over so we follow him inside. The space inside is new as well. No longer do dusty blankets and old machines litter the room. A giant couch, coffee table, wood floors, and carpet is now installed.

"I think we came to the wrong building." Scott whispers.

"Were you the kids that occupied this place before I got here?" The man asks.

We nod. "I think so..." Jesse answers.

"Come with me." The man orders. Now that I look at him, he seems nice. He is thin, wrinkled skin, white hair that covers his head. He looks like a rich man, the clothes he wears are very fancy, but laid back in a way.

We follow him up the many stairs. The railing that was once lying on the floor is now reattached and iron pegs to hold it up are part of the new home. I look at the other levels that we never visited, and see they have been made into rooms, walls have been put up, desks and lots of chairs are occupying the space. We get to the last level and see that it is just as we left it. We cleared out all our things, but this level has remained untouched.

The older man walks over to one corner and bends down to grab something. He turns around with a jar and both Chris and I gasp. The man smiles and hands it to Chris. "A police officer heard that I was buying the place, and he asked that I would leave this level untouched. I of course came up to look around and I found this. He told me about the six of you. You guys put up a bit of a fight for this place."

"Not really." Jesse muttered.

"He asked me to keep this for you. He figured you would come back. And he was right."

"You kept this for us?" Jenna whispers.

The man nods. "It's still your safe haven if you want it. I understand wanting a place of safety. I needed one when I was younger."

"I don't know...everything is so different now." Chris said, looking back at the stairs.

"Yes, but you understand I needed to change it. I teach science classes and they need somewhere nice to sit."

"How did you even get this place? It was getting torn down." I ask.

"I made a last minute offer, and I'm not exactly poor."