Frisson

"So...I guess we're done, then." I said, staring at my computer with our project on it.

He nods. "It's weird that it's over."

"Yeah..." We stare at it; unsure what to do with ourselves.

I'm disappointed that it's over and now I wish I had dragged it on longer. I didn't want to give up our afternoons together. I looked over at him and he was staring at his hands; playing with a ring on his pinkie. I sat back in the seat and he looked over at me.

"You wanna watch TV?" I asked.

He nodded and smiled. "Sounds good."

I turned on Netflix and we found some random show that sounded stupid and put it on. We made fun of it the entire way through; laughing and for some reason, screaming at the characters on the TV to do better. Sandra had come in and handed us cookies and milk, winking at me as she left. I blushed but when I looked over at Chris, he hadn't noticed. We were starting the eighth episode when I heard the doorbell ring and Sandra open the door and welcome in my parents.

I looked over at Chris and he got up, stretching. I got up too and put my hands in my pockets. "You wanna stay?"

He smiled and shook his head. "I don't think your parents would like me."

I scoffed. "I don't think they'll care."

"Oh trust me, they'll care if you let a guy like me stay for dinner. Besides, then they'll think I'm your boyfriend." He said, smirking and leaning in.

I blushed. "I don't have a boyfriend."

He raised his eyebrows. "I thought you were going out with that guy from your Geography class."

"It's not official." I shrugged. Now it just sounded like an open invitation for Chris to try and win me over. "But," I said, trying to backpedal. "I really like him so I hope we will be soon."

He nodded, a flash of that cold look, but it was gone in an instant. "Well, I should go then." He said.

"Yeah, ok. See you tomorrow." He said bye to Sandra and then quickly left before my parents came into the room to meet him. I sat back on the couch; sad that he was gone. I just wanted him with me all the time, even if we weren't saying anything. I went upstairs to work on my homework and just as I was finishing my math work, Sandra came to get me for dinner.

I took a deep breath and made my way downstairs; preparing for the cold and tired time I was about to have. I wish I could just take my dinner in my room, but when I tried that I got an automatic no. For some reason they wanted to have dinner with me even though they never said anything. Sandra served us and I began to eat quickly so I could go back upstairs.

"Samantha that is not how a lady eats." My mom scolded.

I was about to yell at her and say I wasn't a lady so she could stick her opinion up her butt; then I stopped. I remember what Alex said about keeping my tiny rebellion under the radar. So instead, I nodded and sat up straighter and ate quieter and slower.

"Samantha you are right." My dad said.

I looked over at him surprised. I hadn't even said anything. "About what?"

"We don't know you. We never talk to you, so we thought we would spend some time together as a family." He said.

"Why?" I was seriously confused. They never make any sense.

"We want to be a proper family; more involved in your life. Please, we love you and want to do this." My mom said, she had never looked so desperate.