Convivencia

That Friday afternoon, Alex came to pick me up so we could go shopping. I was nervous about this as I sat on the couch waiting for her to show up. I don't have style or any clue about what I looked good in. That's why I always wore jeans and a sweater. They hid my body pretty well and I liked that. I didn't like my body. I wasn't fat, but I had a bulging stomach and big thighs. The doorbell rang and I rushed downstairs to find Sandra welcoming Alex in. She thanked Sandra, and then looked up to see me.

I smiled nervously and she jumped a little in excitement. "You ready? I have everything planned out! This is going to be so much fun!"

I nodded and left my house behind. Alex opened the driver's door and hopped in. Her car was old and used; she bought it that way, but that was all she could afford. It was silver and there was a dent in the fender. I sat in the passenger's seat; and looked around. The seats were gray and in the back there were candy wrappers and old empty water bottles. She wasn't clean either, we both had that in common. Neither of us could clean up.

"Ok, we are going to the mall first. They have a few stores with stuff you might like." Alex said.

"Is there something I should like?" I asked.

She laughs. "You would look good in anything. You're so tiny."

I looked down at myself. "No I'm not."

She gave me a look and shook her head. "You know, there is a reason why that blonde guy wanted to kiss you."

I blushed. "Fine...look my problem is that I don't know what to get. My wardrobe is in your hands."

She laughed. "Well honestly? I think you would be cute in grunge stuff. I mean, you would look good in anything, but that would be really awesome."

"Okay." I said.

She looks at me, her eyebrows raised. "Wait...you want grunge?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure what that is exactly, but if that's what you suggest then why not? You aren't going to make me look like a slut right?"

She smiles. "No of course not. Grunge it is."

"What do you wear then?"

"I try to go alternative. I don't think you would be into that though."

I think of all the heels she wears and the skirts and jewelry. I shake my head. "Yeah, I think you're right."

She notices the panic in my voice and laughs. "Don't worry. Grunge is converse, a few bracelets, and skinny jeans. You'll like it."

"That sounds like me." I say smiling.

We make it to the mall and Alex pulls up into one of the spots by the door. She looks at me, a smirk on her face. "Now, I don't have cash, but I'm guessing you do?"

I smile and pull out my wallet. I take out my credit card. My parents gave me one, they probably never thought I would use it, so they never told me what I could and could not do with it. Besides, I think my mom will be happy to know my wardrobe is being re-made.

"Alright, get ready to shop until you drop." Alex says clapping her hands together.

The first few stores we go into have nothing that Alex is really looking for, so we come out empty handed. I don't mind shopping so far. It's fun looking at all the clothes and hanging out with Alex outside of school or home. The next store we go into seems to be exactly what she wants for me. It's called Forever 21, and the store is huge. I'm distracted by how much there is, when Alex calls me over to where she stands.