Eigengrau

That afternoon, I followed him as we walked down a deserted sidewalk, the sun beating down on us. I was beginning to sweat. I loved the sun, it was warm and made my skin feel whole and clean. But I did not like to sweat. This very reason is why I never did sports. The houses around us were barely built, it was all light wood and white wallpaper. The ground was dirt, piles of it were sitting next to some houses. After about ten minutes of this, we ended up in the trailer park neighborhood. This place made me nervous, I rung my hands, and watched Chris as we walked on. He seemed to relax here, as if this was where he belonged. I have heard bad things about the trailer parks, criminals lived here. I swallowed, but I didn't stop as he continued. The place was deserted, the homes run down and sagging. We got to the edge of the neighborhood after about 15 minutes.

He led me through a backyard and then once we had climbed over that, he began to lead me through a forest. "Ok, seriously. Where are we going, I'm sweaty and tired and it's Friday. Besides how are we going to work here?"

"We aren't." He says.

I stop and cross my arms. "What?"

He sighs and turns around. "Do you really think I was going to take you somewhere to work?"

"Well then this is a waste of my time." I drop my arms and turn around.

"Wait!" He says, catching up to me. "Why don't you just give it a shot?"

"The last time you took me somewhere you kissed me. Without my consent, might I add. Don't you think that maybe I'm not interested?"

He laughs. "I'm not taking you here so we can make out!"

"Well why would I believe otherwise?"

"Because you don't know me." He says, his face suddenly becoming clear of emotion.

I scoff. "I know enough!"

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

"Like you could care less about women. You use them for your own personal enjoyment. Also you live in that neighborhood." I say pointing behind him. "You have been to detention numerous times too. Also your mom is on a pension. She can't work so I'm guessing she is sick or addicted to something that won't let her work. Also I hear you have a bad past." I say this all quickly, letting it all spill out. He stands there, his jaw clenched and his hands are curled into fists. He exhales with some difficulty and walks past me. "Where are you going?" I yell at him.

"You can go home if you want, but I'm going to my place." He says over his shoulder.

"I can't remember how to get out of here! You have to take me back!" I yell at him.

"Well then I guess your gonna have to come with me, cause I'm not going back." He says, he walks backwards as he looks at me and tells me this. He shrugs and turns around again. I hear the grass softly crunch as he continues on.

I stand there, awkward and scared. I look back at the trailer park, trying to remember the way out. I sigh and run to catch up with Chris. I walk beside him, stumbling every now and then as I try to keep up with his long strides. He turns a corner and then stops.

The place is beautiful. It's small, covered by trees and the lake looks clean and reflects the sky. There is a house just beyond, and I can hear a child laughing. He sits down, looking at the water. I sit down next to him and wait for him to speak. He doesn't for a very long time. I listen to the child and the sounds of the birds, finally lying down in the grass and close my eyes.

"I found this place just a few days ago." He says.

I open my eyes, but don't move. "Is that why you were gone?"