Thantophobia

The week went well, Chris didn't put up a fight as we worked. He did what he was supposed to without much flirting and I was able to get back on track with my homework. My parents and I resumed our cool and miserable relationship; they didn't put up much of a fight. Part of me was sad that they didn't, don't they care at all? Another part of me was glad, I could go on living how I wanted.

That Thursday during Geography class our teacher once again did not show up. We sat around, staring at the walls, listening to music with our feet up on the desks. I had to my eyes closed, I was listening to Falling In Reverse when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I opened my eyes to see Andrew standing over me smiling.

I sat up and took my ear buds out. "Hey. How're you?" I asked.

"Good." He took out a chair and sat next to me. "How've you been?"

I sighed. "I'm...exhausted. Between tutoring and all the homework, I just want to tear my hair out."

"You know how I deal with it?" He says with a smirk.

"How?"

"I don't do it." He sits back in his chair as if this one statement should blow my mind.

I shake my head. "I can't afford to not do it."

"Why? Are your parents forcing you to become something important like a lawyer?"

I shake my head. "They don't care about me. I just want to be a doctor, so I need the good grades and I need to understand everything."

He nods. "That's a good point."

"What do you want to do?"

He smiles. "I want to be a band teacher." He pauses. "That isn't as exciting as a doctor, but I'm passionate about music, and I want to share that with kids."

"Wow, that's really great." I say nodding. "That might be more exciting than a doctor's job."

"Yeah, but you're saving lives, I'm just teaching a kid how to play an instrument."

I shrugged. "You could have kids who have lots of troubles at home, or at school, and by teaching them and caring about them, it would help them. Besides music is calming, no matter what genre, and by opening kids up to that they have an escape. By doing that you are making someone's life better. Your job is important too." He shakes his head and chuckles. "What?" I asked.

He looks up at me, his blue eyes sparkling and a proud smile on his face. "Your even better in person."

I blushed and looked down. "Your crazy." I mumbled.

He shrugged. "I don't mind."

"Aw, well isn't that sweet." I hear someone say. I turn around and there is Chris.

"What are you doing in here?" I ask.

"James said the teacher wasn't here today."

"Who's James?" I ask.

"Someone I know." He pulls up a chair and puts his head in his hand, mimicking a girl who has got a crazy crush on someone. He puts on a fake smile and sighs. "Well you are just adorable aren't you?" He says to Andrew.

"What do you want Chris?" I snip. My face is red, embarrassed that the guy I like has to see this. This is another side of Chris that I didn't know. I don't like this one either.

"Oh, I just came to hang out with you and the hottie." He says innocently. "Is something wrong?"

"Get out of here, this isn't your class." I whisper.