Chapter 15

AN: Listen to Somewhere only we know by Keane if you have the song...IF NOT LISTEN TO IT HERE WHILE YOU READ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KHJKj9GgsI

I caught up on my homework that weekend, doing everything like I was supposed to. I stayed inside and didn't leave my room. I'm not sure if I was still grounded because my parents let my friends come and go as they pleased. Maybe they didn't know how actual grounding worked, but I wasn't about to mention it. Monday morning, I sat with my parents. Halfway through the meal my dad said,

"We don't want to be too harsh, but this is for your own good. Your grounded for 2 months and if your attitude changes then we will see."

I looked up shocked, my attitude? Alright, I guess I could be more respectful, but I thought I was grounded for disappearing from school. I nod, hoping this will please them and I think it does. My dad's mouth turns into a hard line, to show he is pleased. I don't know what to do, should I protest? That won't get me anywhere though, so I decide to look like an angel child and eat quietly.

"So they just grounded you for an attitude problem?" Scott says as we drive to school.

I nod. "For 2 months and then we'll see." I say, making my voice deep trying to impersonate my dad.

Scott chuckles. "Wow, tough love."

"Apparently." I mutter. We walk through the doors and I am always anticipating Chris to be there, but when I turn the corner he never is. My shoulders slump and Scott wraps his arm around me.

"It'll be ok."

I smile up at him. "Yeah. I'm hoping it'll be ok very soon."

"Hey there nerd." Ian says with a smirk.

It might be childish, but I stick my tongue out and he just laughs. "You doing ok?" Jesse asks.

I nod. "Yeah, I just miss him." Tears come to my eyes but I try to blink them away.

"He said he would come back." Ian says. "Since his mom loses her job a lot they might come back here. He could try and persuade her."

"Maybe." I mumble, but I don't have high hopes.

Jenna comes trudging in then, rubbing her eyes. She didn't put on make up today. "Hey." She says in a hoarse whisper.

Jesse walks over to her and kisses her cheek. "Morning beautiful. You ok?"

She nods. 'I went out with my friend Gwen to this heavy metal concert for unknown bands and I got home a few hours ago." She yawns. Then she looks around. "I don't even know why I'm here."

Jesse laughs. "Come on, let's go. I'll get you coffee."

She smiles up at him. "Thanks babe."

They leave and so Ian, Scott, and I head to class. As we walk a few of the football players give me death glares. Scott wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me closer. He stares them down and I just pat his arm.

"Don't worry Scott they won't hurt me."

"That's what we thought about Andrew." Ian says, watching the football players too. His hands are balled into fists.

"Guys calm down, I'm going to be fine."

They drop me off at class but they don't calm down. They are turning into my own personal body guards. I finally start to feel normal. I can focus in class as long as I don't let my mind wander to Chris, because then my focus won't come back. It takes effort but I manage to make it to fourth period without daydreaming. When I do get halfway through fourth period, I look at the clock which was a bad idea. This was the first time I had met Chris outside when things were tough with Andrew. I look back down immediately. My hands feel cold, and the black nail polish is coming off. Because of the cold weather the skin is cracked and dry, and I want to scratch at them badly. I turn my attention to the board where the video is playing. I sigh and sit back in my seat. This is going to be a long year.