Quaintrelle

Alex comes to pick me up that afternoon and I'm bouncing in my seat just thinking about the guitar that I'm about to purchase. I already know the one that I'm going to buy. It's plain and simple, but I planned on decorating it myself once I got it. I found a lot of different designs on Tumblr that I wanted to put on my own guitar. When we finally got to the store, I basically ran inside.

"Alex, hurry up!" I whined, jumping in place.

"Hold onto your panties." She said laughing.

I went to the very back where the acoustic guitars were and found the perfect one. I grabbed it immediately, and turned to smile at Alex.

She raised her eyebrows. "That one? But it's so plain!"

I shook my head. "Leave that to me."

She shrugged. "Alright. Since this isn't clothing, I'll let you make the choice."

I squealed a little and then went to the front to pay. The boy behind the counter had long brown hair that sat on his shoulders. He almost looked like Kurt Cobain, just darker skin and longer hair. He smiled at us.

"Is that all?" He asked.

I nodded and pulled out my credit card. He was in the middle of swiping it when someone yelled,

"Hey, Rick, I need your help for a second. Does this tag go with-" He walked into the room, and stopped when he saw me. It was Chris. I step back a little and blush. I hear Alex gasp quietly, but she doesn't comment.

"Go with what?" Rick said, looking back at Chris. He was oblivious of the sudden tension.

"Uh, this guitar." Chris said, showing Rick the instrument in his hand.

"Yeah, that's the one." Rick replied.

"Ok." Chris hurried back into the secret room and I exhaled.

"Here you go." Rick said, handing me the guitar with a smile. "Enjoy."

"Thanks." I mumbled.

I hurried out of the store and the minute Alex and I got in the car, she started pounding me with questions.

"He looked so shocked to see you! He looked like he wanted to grab you and kiss you too! What was that about?" Alex asked laughing.

I shook my head. "I don't know; it was so weird to see him there...I'm going to have to see him a lot more now too." I thought I might as well tell her. She was bound to find out at some point.

"What, why?" She asked, her voice rising.

"Well, I have to tutor someone from this academic class in algebra. If we help them learn we get a good grade. Chris is my assignment."

"So that's his name..." She trails off, deep in thought. "He doesn't look like a Chris."

I shrug. "It doesn't matter, I'm gonna get out of this in a week."

"What, why? I thought you liked him?"

I shake my head. "It was a silly little crush, but honestly I don't want to be with someone like him. Besides, we probably won't work much anyway. I don't think he'll listen to me."

"Fair enough. But how come you can get out of it?" Alex said after a moment.

"I asked my teacher. She said that if he doesn't cooperate then I can switch partners."

"And if he does as he is told?" She asks.

"He won't."

"Entertain the possibility that he will. Just for a moment." Alex was playing devil's advocate with me. Usually I didn't mind the 'what if' situations, but this was one I didn't want to think about.