Ch. 38 - A Gift

Percy's POV:

I was on my way home from work when I got a call from Annabeth. She told me to meet her at the Empire State building and she would explain there. To say the least I am extremely confused.

Here I am driving to the Empire State building without a clue as to why I am doing so. I realized I had arrived so I parked my car and walked into the building.

I see Annabeth sitting in the lobby with all of our friends.

"Sweetie, what's going on?" I ask giving Annabeth a kiss. "Where are the kids?"

"Katie and Travis told us to meet them here. They're already "upstairs". We were waiting for you." She says after sneezing a few times and quickly blowing her nose. "And also the kids are at your parent's. I didn't really want to bring all 4 of them and hope they behave in front of the gods." I laugh and then we all head to the elevator; all of us meaning the Valdezs, and the Stolls (Connor and Miranda), and of course us. The Graces were still in New Jersey and couldn't make it and the Zhangs were still living in New Rome with their daughter Nina.

I squeezed in next to a very pregnant Miranda who attempted to move over but failed just hitting Leo with her stomach.

I laughed as she almost fell over and then quickly I helped her regain her balance.

"So when are you due?" I asked her.

"It should be maybe another week or two if we're lucky," she grumbled. "I want this baby girl out!"

Connor and Miranda were late bloomers. They got married about 3 years ago but now they were finally having their first child. By the sounds of it, it was going to be a girl.

Once we got to the 600th floor we saw Katie, Travis, and RJ all standing there. Wow, I couldn't believe that RJ was already 12 years old. It seemed like just yesterday we were in that hospitable room and they announced his name was Robin Jackson. Then I realized, oh wait, I've got a twelve year old at home who has grown up way too fast.

"Hey guys, glad you came," Katie says nervously quickly giving each of us a hug.

"What exactly are we here for?" Leo asks. I was happy to see him and Calypso. I guess their trip around the world went well but now they said they were getting a house in New York and would finally settle down with their daughter Ellie.

"Well, as some of you may know, we found out Katie can't get pregnant again," Travis says putting his arm comfortingly around Katie. For the record, just in case any of you would wondering, I didn't know. "But we really wanted a second child so we talked to the gods and they've agreed to grant us a child as a gift."

"We are a little afraid just because you never know what will happen when the gods try to work together..." Katie said. So that's why they were all so jittery.

"We're here for you," Annabeth says squeezing her hand.

"Yeah, no matter what happens at least you tried," Calypso said comfortingly. I had known they had been trying for another, I just didn't know they were having this much...trouble. I really hoped this worked.

"Children!" Zeus' voice booms. "We are ready to begin!" he says. Katie and Travis step forward and Rj nervously steps back with the rest of us. I grab his shoulder and squeeze it gently so he knows I'm here for him.

"We know that you have wished for a child and we are here to grant that wish," Aphrodite says.

"We have a surprise though. This child will not just be blessed by your parents, but by all the gods," Hera says. Katie and Travis looked shocked. This is going to be a pretty powerful kid...maybe.