Ch. 55 - Homecoming Game

***not necessary but helps to read the most recent chapter in The Legacies for background info***

Annabeth's POV:

Tonight was the homecoming game and I was nervous. I knew Charlie was too. We were sitting in the bleachers waiting for the game to start. We were sitting next to the Stolls.

The cheerleaders came out and formed a tunnel for the team. I looked at Zoe to find her face stained with tears and a fake smile. I frowned and turned to Percy who noticed too.

"What is wrong with her?" I asked

"I don't know." Percy responded.

The football players came out lead by Charlie and RJ although you could feel the tension between them. I turned to Percy who had also noticed.

Oh, boy. This might not end well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were halfway through the fourth quarter and were losing badly. RJ would pass to Charlie, Charlie would miss, then come running down the field pushing RJ and screaming.

Finally the game ended and the team walked sadly off the field. We walked with Katie and Travis to greet the boys and Zoe. Zoe walked out first and ran to me, giving me a hug.

"Honey, what's wrong?" I asked concerned. RJ and Charlie came out next. That's when I noticed the huge black eye that RJ had. Katie ran to him and put her hands on his cheeks inspecting the damage,

"What happened?" She asked. RJ glanced and Charlie.

"Nothing I deserved it, it's over now." He said brushing it off.

"No you didn't. Charlie is just being a jerk!" Zoe turned and yelled giving her brother the death glare we all feared to be on the receiving end of.

"Charlie, why did you do that he's your best friend?" Percy asked.

"Not anymore, once I catch you making out with my little sister you're dead to me." Charlie said before walking off. I looked at Zoe and RJ in shock.

"Charlie wait!" RJ yelled running after him.

"Maybe it's best that we give him some time alone," i said. "Cmon Zoe time to leave."

"But.." Rj protested.

"I'll talk to him," Percy offered and began jogging toward him.

Percy's POV
"Charlie!" I called. "Wait"

"Dad I don't want to talk," he yelled back.

"Please wait Charlie. Let's just talk things over."

He stopped but made no effort to come closer.

Huffing and puffing I finally caught up to him. I patted the ground next to me. "Here have a seat." He sat down in the grass beside me. "So what's going on?"

"Well," charlie said. "I was walking into the locker room, and then I find RJ and Zoe kissing!"

"So?" I say. Before realizing I sound like a teenage girl. "I mean, why is that so bad? Zoe will eventually start dating anyway so why can't it be the guy you trust?"

"Wellll because it's weird. Ya know, my best friend and sister"

"I think that sounds good. Your best friend and your sister. And I hate to say it but, if they're happy, you're just gonna have to suck it up and deal with it. Do you really want to be the guy that breaks his best friends heart or the guy that breaks his little sisters heart?" I ask.

"No..." Charlie admits. "I guess it's not that bad. I mean I'll always know what their up to..."

"Very good point!" I laugh. "So do you wanna go find them and apologize?"

"Yeah I guess. Ok."

We walked to the car and headed over to RJ's. Charlie went up to the door and knocked.

"Oh hi Charlie." RJ's mom answered.

"Hi. Is Rj here?" He asked.

"Rj!" She called back inside. "It's Charlie!"

We heard a muffled shout still able to be heard though. "I don't want to see him!"

"Yeah I figured that" Charlie said staring at the ground. "May I go talk to him?"

"Sure Charlie cmon in," RJ's mom said letting him in.

Charlie's POV

I walk upstairs to find Rj sitting on his bed watching tv.

"Hi." I said standing in the doorway.

"Hi." He answered.

"Can I come in?"

"No."

"Ok I'll just tell you from here."

"Tell me what?"

"Well I'm here to apologize."

"You better be."

"I'm sorry for getting mad at you and then punching you in the face."

"Ok." He says.

We wait in silence for about a minute waiting for him to say something else before I explode.

"That's it? 'Ok'? I'm not the only one who should be apologizing!"

"What should I be sorry for?!"

"Making out with my sister!"

"Well then I'm sorry that I'm in love with her!"

"Wait...you're what?"

"I mean....kissing her!"

"No no no no you said 'in love with her'. You're in love with Zoe?"

"No!"

"Are you?"

"Maybe a little..."

"Wow." That's all I manage to say.

"I'm sorry charlie. Listen, I'll stop seeing her if that's what it takes to be friends."

I just stand there not moving.

"Charlie?"

"You're in love?"

"Ummm yeah but..."

"That's great!"

"It is?"

"Yeah! My best friend and my sister! Come on we have to go find her!" Suddenly I see what my dad has been saying. If he's in love, I can't stop that. I'm happy in fact.

"Well ok."

We go outside and walk back to my house.

"ZOE!" I yell running in to her room.

I find a tear stained face looking up at me surrounded by tissues.

"What do you want?" She says disgusted by the sight of me. Wonderful.

"Look who I brought!" Rj steps in.

"Hi Zoe," he says.

"Hi Rj." She smiles.

"Ok lovebirds you two chat I'm gonna leave." I walk out happy to see them sitting together. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

Hey everybody! Hoped you liked the chapter! Is anybody else on spring break? Thanks for all the votes and comments!! Love you guys❤️❤️❤️❤️