Chapter III: Dark Preparations

Verin was flying, deep in thought, as she returned to the lab. She'd spent her morning personally ensuring that her summoning of the Holders reached each base's assigned personnel.

      They were finally preparing the first real action they'd be taking against those pests. It was long overdue.

      To think she'd have the balls stand against us...Verin seethed.

      She was going to make sure the repercussions were unforgettable and stomp out any fighting spirit that stupid human had in her.

      Verin's body shivered with anticipation at the thought. She couldn't wait to look Alissia in the eyes as her hopes were shattered.

      When Verin arrived at the lab, she landed at the doors, opening both as she entered.

      Inside, to the left, at the short table, were Claeg and Kaila, who were being kept close for now after their stunt the previous night.

      "This is boring," Claeg complained as he slammed the heel of his foot onto the table, breaking it. "Why can't we leave? We apologized already. Were we given power just to be told what to do as if we're children!?"

      "We messed up by nearly killing Naomi prematurely last night," Kaila stated casually as she flipped through a magazine. "I'd like nothing more than to be hunting right now, but we have to regain their trust."

      "It was your attack that slit her throat..." Claeg remarked.

      Blood began to drip from one of Kaila's index fingers as it mixed with her spirit energy and came to life. Within a split second, it sprung toward Claeg and wrapped around his throat, choking him.

      "Youuu took advantage of it afterward and tried to take her for yourself, so don't try to act like it's all my fault," Kaila hissed.

      Claeg stood and opened his mouth as he started to inhale, causing Kaila's blood to be sucked into it as if pulled in by a vacuum.

      The tendril around his neck weakened, allowing him to break free.

      "What was I supposed to do, let a good meal go to waste?" He retorted.

      "You know, Claeg, if you don't like the rules forced onto you, you're welcome to challenge those higher than you to take their spot," Verin suggested devilishly. "Take me, for example; if you were to defeat me, you'd become number two. Then, you could go where ever you like. What do you say? Interested in challenging me?"

      Claeg looked at Verin in stunned silence and then down at his sister.

      "No way. I'm not helping," Kaila expressed.

      "Seriously? You know our powers work best together," he stated.

      "When we were being trained, we struggled against Junichiro. And even together, somehow only barely managed. You know I don't make it a habit to pick fights I can't win. If you want to challenge her, then you can take the punishment."

      "So, what will it be, Claeg," Verin asked.

      She purposefully refrained from showing a drop of her power. She stood there, an empty, docile shell, waiting for his reply.

      Verin knew that since Claeg had never felt her power, he most likely underestimated her in his head. The only power he'd felt was Junichiro's and a fraction of Avarice's during their training.

      Claeg carefully watched her with his shimmering milky eyes.

      Verin expected him to lunge at her since she was making herself seem as weak as a rabbit, but to her surprise, he backed down.

      "This is an empire; everyone has their place, I guess," Claeg said, looking away and clearing his throat as he sat back down.

      Hm, his instincts are sharper than I gave him credit for.

      Verin turned her attention toward Avarice standing at his desk in the back.

      "All Holders have been ordered to return to their designated base," she informed him as she approached the desk. "It'll take two or three days for those on vacation or out of country to arrive, but it's fine since it'll take that long to get all the transportation jets and vehicles inspected before they can be deployed. Until then, everyone will be on standby, awaiting further instructions."

      "As expected, everything's going smoothly being in your care," Avarice said, showing his appreciation.

      "I must say, things are going splendidly well here, too," he added, beaming with satisfaction as he held up a cindium-tipped syringe filled with a thick, grey moving liquid. "I've finally succeeded in creating super nanites that'll prevent regeneration. Unfortunately, there's only enough for one dose. All of the resources were used to try to perfect it."

      "How do you know it works," Verin asked.

      "I took some of my blood and analyzed the effects. It completely halts all regeneration," Avarice told her.

      "Well, be sure to be careful," Verin warned. "If any of them manage to take it from you, it could be used to suppress your regenerative capabilities instead."

      "You're right, it could be used against me, but it wouldn't threaten my life," Avarice assured her. "Your theory about Tymon's and my regeneration being different was right too. While inspecting my blood after introducing it to some of the nanites, I noticed the blood cells stopped regenerating but never died. I even applied acid and saw that, although they became damaged, the blood cells remained intact. Then, when I reintroduced the separated blood to a cut on my arm, some of the blood cells regained a little vitality. This reminded me of your theory, and to prove it, I killed myself. An hour later, I woke, and the blood cells were completely healed."

      "That was reckless," Verin stated, shaking her head in disbelief. "But that means the nanites are useless against you and Tymon."

      "But not against Michael," Avarice stated with a slight grin as he admired his work.

------

Fun fact: Verin was last reincarnated on November 9th, 4599 BC, making her 7,672 years old.

Enjoying the story? Have any constructive criticisms? Leave a like or comment to share your thoughts with me. :)

Super Supporters: Want to learn everything up-to-date and get exclusive information about your favorite character(s)? Visit the series' Patreon account at patreon.com/primordials

or visit their Ko-fi account at ko-fi.com/otherworldsjt

Media

IG: otherworldsjt

Twitter: jt_fnx

Thank you for your support :)