Chapter XI: Fated Peril (Pt. 2)

"Don't worry about it. Viraa's right: being used this way will help keep you safe, so it doesn't bother me too much."

      "Yes, it does, liar," I said as I tried to keep my tears at bay. I truly hated this for him: having to accept that he's a disposable tool for our protection.... Then, more concerns started running through my mind. We don't have any more cindium to build him new bodies with; what if something happens to his spares? If his other bodies are all activated at once, are they all Trik or clones? What if he's forced off because others deem him "too dangerous" at some point? More and more frantic thoughts flooded my brain as I thought about how this wasn't fair. Why create someone but not give them free will? My mind was so over the place I couldn't even focus on one problem.

      "Hey," he said as he bopped me on the head softly. "I'm supposed to protect you. Free will aside, knowing that I can throw myself at the enemy to save you and get another body later puts me at ease a little."

      I hugged him tightly for a few minutes until he said it was weird and left, telling me to get some sleep.

      After the day I had, honestly, sleep sounded great. Plus, it wasn't late, meaning I'd get a whole night's rest. Maybe even some sweet dreams. Whatever the case, my mind could think about something better.

      Or so I thought. The moment my mind slipped into its dream state, I was bombarded with visions, starting with the recurring scene of my parents dying in an explosion. This time, however, I could see more of the scenery and saw a holo-clock with the date set three days from now. I could also see the explosion's origins being Trevor's body detonating as he stood behind them. When the dream changed, I saw two other places destroyed and instantly recognized them as the other branches' bases – or what was left of them. Each Watcher base and everyone on them was eradicated.

      I abruptly woke up at 2 a.m. and thought, this can't be happening. This can't be real. I tried to think of something – anything – that could save everyone.

      Maybe if I –

      It is unfortunate, but you cannot share the future that you just saw. Such an event will have a significant impact on human history someday, Viraa advised me.

      "Well, what impact does it have? If you stop being cryptic for once and give me more information, I can figure out a better outcome that benefits the future and saves everyone," I urged.

      That's not how it works. Besides, you're not mature enough to handle the knowledge I hold of the future. You must remain level-headed.

      "This is my family we're talking about!" I exclaimed angrily.

      "Fine, don't tell me, but I'm not going to let the Watchers die if the others, and I can prevent it," I said defiantly as I got out of bed and rushed to my room door, intending to wake the others.

      Before I could reach the door, I felt Viraa force her will onto me, causing me to collapse and clutch my head in agony as a new vision played inside it.

      In the vision, many civilians and familiar faces were dying as a war raged on. On one side were the Primordials and Watchers, who weren't holding up well initially. On the other was Avarice and his forces, who were confidently wiping us out.

      I watched Jovan hold his own against one of the Sub Deities but ultimately lost since his power reserves weren't nearly as much as theirs. But still, even in death, he smiled at his opponent for overpowering him.

      This is what happens if I warn them...? They all die anyway?

      Yes, and that's not the worst of it, Viraa responded.

      As I continued to watch the carnage before me, I noticed my dad's army being deployed and becoming the only fighting chance the Watchers had. A swarm of Triks fought fiercely in their overdrive modes, defeating multiple Holders on their own, whittling Avarice's overwhelming numbers.

      Having an army of cindium-made robots seemed to help our side gain some ground until Junichiro appeared out of nowhere and cut hundreds of them down with his spirit-enhanced cindium sword. Although he was the enemy, I couldn't help but notice the majestic gracefulness of his movements as he carved a path through his enemies. They didn't stand a chance.

      Then I watched as he charged toward future me, who was bruised and exhausted from whatever fight she, I, had gone through already. He tried to attack me as soon as he landed, but future me used Temporal Sight to dodge the surprise attack.

      He grunted, clearly annoyed that I'd dodged yet another of his sneak attacks, and looked around at the mess that was transpiring, then glared at me with blame.

      "No one's ever resisted Father this much," he muttered. "Yet you..."

      "Father may not see it, but you're too much of a threat to keep alive. Within you lies the only person with the knowledge and power to prevent his ambitions, and I will not allow you to continue to grow," he said as makeshift chains of his spirit energy wrapped around me, immobilizing me as he drove his sword through me.

      Even though it wasn't this me, I still winced as I observed the blade pierce my body.

      Afterward, Avarice arrived and, in a fit of anger, struck Junichiro in retaliation, sending him crashing through multiple buildings until he was out of sight.

      Future me smiled defiantly as Avarice desperately tried to clog my wound with his spirit energy while repeating, "No, no, no, no, there's still too much I don't know."

      "I have to know more. I have to learn everything. Obtain more power. Learn where our home world is. Give me Viraa!!" He bellowed desperately, gripping my head as he tried to use Order on me.

      While doing that, he simultaneously started to steal my energy, but Viraa and future me were resisting. Of course, my will was no match for his, so future me instantly lost the tug of war and lay there dying as Avarice acquired Viraa for himself.

      Tymon and Michael then showed up in time to witness Avarice let out a burst of his new power, sending my body flailing through the air. When Michael caught it, he tried to heal me, but judging from his expression, it was too late. He slowly descended to the ground and placed me down softly before sending threads spiraling toward Avarice at astounding speeds. Still, Avarice sidestepped them and calmly maneuvered closer to Michael as he used Temporal Sight to see the attacks.

      "Your speed doesn't amount to much if I know where the attacks will come from," Avarice stated, confident in his new power.

      The next instant, there was a short display of black, white, and gold flashes before I saw Tymon on the ground, his head removed, and Michael trapped and suspended in a golden cage that impaled him from multiple angles.

      Verin dropped from the sky, landing next to them.