Chapter XXVII: Grief (Pt.2)

I hung up, unable to finish, as I felt a heat from my chest rise. I ran to the room I'd woken up in. As I lay in the bed, everything I'd spent the day trying to suppress came flooding back to the surface. The memory of how useless I had been when I was kidnapped by Claeg, being forced to watch helplessly as my family was murdered...

      I found myself thinking about the people I had lost again and how I'd never see their faces again. Then I reflected on my behavior earlier: even though Michael and the others were trying to help me and gave me a chance to say goodbye in a way, I'd been so mean and dismissive to avoid my feelings.

      Despite wanting to stay closed off, it all came rushing out as I heard myself weeping. This only made things worse. Now, I couldn't help but face the crushing hopelessness of our situation and the fact that my weakness was a burden to the others.

      I lay there gritting my teeth hard. I wanted to be stronger—strong enough to protect what was important to me, strong enough to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

      But I couldn't...this fact left me crying for the rest of the day and despondent for almost a week. At some point, I even fell so low as to contemplate an alternative, more permanent solution that would rid me of the immense pain and grief I felt in my heart.

      Thankfully, Naomi saved me. She offered to ease my heartache to help me find the courage to move forward. Simply by touching me, Naomi sent a cool chill through my body that alleviated some of the pain, making me feel moderately elated—enough so that I wasn't crushed with despair anymore.

      "Thanks," I said after sitting up from the fetal position.

      Naomi smiled bitterly and said, "I haven't used this power since I was a kid."

      "Seriously, thank you. I don't know how much longer I would've lasted." I looked at her grin from having helped me and immediately followed with an apology for my behavior before.

      "None of us took any offense; we knew you were hurting inside."

      "That doesn't justify any of it. You guys aren't the ones to blame for my misfortune. I shouldn't have treated you that way," I expressed sincerely before my expression turned grim.

      Now that I had grieved, I felt rejuvenated thanks to Naomi—my spirits were higher. My heart was no longer filled with sorrow. Instead, it was filled with anger and frustration. Part of me was angry at myself for being so weak. I'd allowed myself to get captured multiple times and was powerless in the most crucial moments. Not only that, but I was also blind to what was happening right in front of me. Tymon was right, I'd been naïve. But not anymore.

      Now, my mind was made up. The only way I would find peace was to focus on my primary source of anger and permanently eliminate the problem. Avarice was unkillable, but Verin wasn't. Verin had proven to have orchestrated nearly everything and had made things personal, so just this once, I'd make an exception—I'd kill her even if I had to die with her.

      Lisa that is a very unwise notion to put in your head, Viraa commented.

      "Why? Because I lack the strength?" I responded as I hopped out of bed.

      Naomi looked puzzled for a second.

      Partly, but primarily because of the consequences that would have on the Earth. Killing Verin would only serve to hinder our goal of protecting the inhabitants of Earth—

      "No!" I shook my head as I interrupted her. "Stop! I don't want to hear it! Verin deserves it, and the world would be better without her. Think about it: no more despair. For anyone."

      It's not that simple; there needs to be a balance.

      "So what, I'm just supposed to live out my days on the run until I'm eventually captured and tortured by her? Why do that when we could all focus our efforts on getting rid of her at least."

      Or you could make them all submit with power instead.

      "How? With what power...? You mean the JANUS drug?" I remarked as I considered the possibility. "It's a risk, but it could work with Michael's help. I'll need a lot of it, though."

      No, you do not. The drug has proven that your body can evolve exponentially due to your unique lineage. It is almost as if it is awakening something within you. If my assumption is correct, then there may be a way for you to surpass Verin and even Avarice, but each of the other Primordials will be required. You'll need Tymon and Za'Fia.

-----

Fun fact: Naomi's innate 'Divine Presence' ability (not cintracy) allows her to spread joy and elation to others

Fun fact: Naomi's innate 'Divine Presence' ability (not cintracy) allows her to spread joy and elation to others. If exposed for too long, humans and animals will die with a smile on their faces. 

Enjoying the story? Have any constructive criticisms? Leave a like or comment to share your thoughts with me. :)

Super Supporters: Want to learn everything up-to-date and get exclusive information about your favorite character(s)?

Visit the series' Patreon account at patreon.com/primordials

or visit their Ko-fi account at ko-fi.com/otherworldsjt

(Most of the lore is free, but for $1, you gain access to each vital character's highly detailed profiles)

Media

IG: otherworldsjt

Twitter: jt_fnx

Discord: https://discord.gg/YwfZjrg9

Thank you for your support :)