Chapter XXIII: While We Wait (Pt.2)

"I doubt every Holder was present at the bases," Damien retorted. "Still, any that remains would be foolish to try anything."

      "That's not all of the Sub Deities either," Tymon inserted. "I didn't sense Vicki at Base T."

      "She doesn't seem all that bad. Considering she's been helping Alissia, shouldn't she be spared?" Damien suggested.

      "I'd like to say that I don't trust her. She didn't even blink when she witnessed a man get crushed to death in front of her, but there's something familiar about her...I want to remove her mask and at least find out who she is before she dies," Za'Fia declared.

      "Hmm...I don't trust her," Tymon said flatly.

      "I get the feeling you don't trust most people," Damien teased. "Besides, from my understanding, she hasn't done anything untrustworthy toward any of us."

      "Not that we know of." Tymon stated, "....But we'll leave her alone for now. If she gets in the way at all..."

      "Then I'll take care of her myself," Damien interrupted.

      Tymon sighed, preferring to nip the potential problem in the bud since she worked directly under Avarice and the others. It was stupid to think a human could resist them and get away with it. But with the other bases and minions gone, Avarice and Verin would most likely choose to keep her close for errands. Or they'd decide to kill her themselves. Either way, she could still prove useful...

      "What now? That's all of the bases, isn't it?" Damien questioned.

      "Now the Watchers should be safe. There's no need for them to interfere with our battle." Tymon declared. "Damien, you can go back and tell them to stay put. Avarice is patient and calculating; he isn't the type to attack blindly. After tonight, he's going to want to know where I am and won't risk the others. He'll be too paranoid to send any of them out for a while, especially if he doesn't know where I am. That'll give us all more time to prepare for their retaliation – probably a week at best. When that time comes, it'll be up to us Primordials to handle things, not the humans."

      "Safe?" Damien looked confused, and then realization set in. "That's why you did all this: you sensed their deaths..."

      "Like I said, they should be safe now. None of them will have to die – Alissia won't have to lose anyone – if they stay out of it."

      "Still, that's seven of them versus six of us. And Avarice is..."

      "He has a plan for Avarice," Za'Fia interjected. "He just needs time."

      "Why not come back and share your plan with everyone else?" Damien inquired. "With Michael's absence after losing his regenerative powers, we're cut in half with each Supreme Primordial away. Surely, they've noticed that."

      Tymon and Za'Fia looked at each other silently.

      "What's this about Michael?" Tymon asked.

      "Michael was attacked," Damien told them. "Vicki informed us of Avarice's intentions to use something he'd created to prevent Michael from regenerating. After the attack, Michael fled, and we haven't heard from him since."

      "That's...unexpected. I thought Michael was with you all," Tymon clenched his jaw as he realized the potential for things to go wrong. "Regardless, I'm not much help right now. I need to get stronger first, but Alissia and the others won't like my method. I can't come back yet."

      Tymon touched a shadow that rippled to life.

      "Go back. Tell them not to do anything to force Avarice's hand. He's not likely to attack yet, so staying together and staying put is best. I'll be there as soon as I can."

      Damien flashed an understanding smile, nodding his head in defeat.

      "I'm sure everyone will feel reassured when you return—Arne may attempt to test their strength against you," he warned before stepping into the shadows.

      "Damien," Tymon called out as Damien's body was almost gone. "Don't tell Alissia about why I did it. She'd only find a way to feel guilty about it."

      With that, Damien passed all the way through, and the shadow went still.

      "You ready?" Za'Fia asked him.

      "Yeah, let's get started."

-----

Fun fact: Due to his Overload ability, Damien often wears gloves to prevent those he touches from unintentionally falling victim to his power

Enjoying the story? Have any constructive criticisms? Leave a like or comment to share your thoughts with me. :)

Super Supporters: Want to learn everything up-to-date and get exclusive information about your favorite character(s)?

Visit the series' Patreon account at patreon.com/primordials

or visit their Ko-fi account at ko-fi.com/otherworldsjt

Media

IG: otherworldsjt

Thank you for your support :)