Chapter XXIV: Counterstrike (Pt.5)

"Lisa..." Trik nudged me.

      "Oh? And who might you be talking to?" Verin inquired, coming into view from my left, but I was too enthralled with Viraa to mind it as much as I should have.

      As I have stated before, I do not expect you to understand my methods. However, never forget that Earth, its inhabitants, and my creations mean more to me than you know. My connection with them runs deeper than you can possibly understand.

      "What does that even mean?" I yelled, gripping my hair in frustration. "That doesn't answer anything!"

      Verin had gripped my chin in a flash of movement, forcing me to look at her.

      "I don't like being ignored," she said, peering into my eyes. "You wouldn't happen to be speaking with Viraa right now, would you?"

      I remained silent.

      Crap. Did I reveal that? No. I didn't mention a name...

       "I'll get it out of you later," she threatened, then grinned with amusement again. "For now, though..."

      Verin dropped me to the floor and increased the gravity around me until I was being forced to lie flat.

      "No more distractions; we're getting to the good part," she ordered, redirecting our attention to the screens where Trevor was preparing to decimate everyone back home. His entire body was glowing as if charging a ton of energy.

      My constant nightmare flashed in my mind as the bigger picture finally clicked. I realized he was the cause of the enormous explosion that would kill my parents.

      On the screen, several familiar faces, like Kaia's, twisted in fear as they frantically ran in an attempt to escape.

      Tears swelled up and then ran down my face uncontrollably as I watched helplessly. I could see my mom and dad holding each other, having accepted their fates. They were both speaking into something held in my dad's hand.

      "Nooo...please, someone save them." I prayed aloud.

      "There's still so much unsaid between us..." I heard my dad say, "But it looks like I won't get to explain things to you, sweetheart–not that it matters much anymore. Haha, a brilliant mind, and now I can't seem to find the words I want to say... Just know that your mother and I were always proud of you, and I hope you will persevere through this tragedy.

      "You're undoubtedly meant for great things," My mom chimed in. "Please don't let this lead you down the wrong path, Dear."

      Together, they spoke. "We lov–"

      Once the explosion happened, my mind went into shock, preventing me from being able to speak. I remember the weight of Verin's gravity lift from me, but I still couldn't muster the strength to move as she stepped into my line of sight, holding Trik.

      With a sick look of satisfaction, she ripped off his arms and anti-gravitational orb that allowed him to fly, then dropped him in front of me.

      "No! Wait, stop! I'll come with you willingly, just please don't...don't take him away from me..." I begged her.

      Using her power, she started applying so much pressure to Trik's body that it began to engrave itself into the concrete floor, sending cracks outward. Then, it began to creak and grind as sparks flew from several bursting points.

      "Don't look. Close your eyes," Trik advised me. He was half camouflaged in his human appearance, his voice broken and distorted yet full of pride and love as he peered at me empathetically–no fear of his own demise was reflected in his soft stare.