Chapter XXII: Insidious

Wren gently touched the augmentation tank as she observed Junichiro's floating body. He already looked better than when he entered the tank not even an hour ago. Still, he was covered in burn marks and peeling skin. It would take a few more hours before he would be fully healed.

      "We'll get him for this," Trik appeared beside her with a seriousness she hadn't seen in him before. "I don't care if he can't be killed...just you wait."

      "The next time we see him..." Wren agreed coldly.

      Suddenly, the lights inside the lab flickered off. Outside, the sky had darkened as thick clouds blocked out the sun, forming larger shadows that appeared to move within the room.

      "What happens then?" Tymon's voice reverberated through the lab, surprising them both. Wren's head snapped left and right as she searched for him.

      "Where are you?!" Trevor yelled, gritting his teeth as his hands started to spark. "You here to finish him off?!"

      Tymon let out a laugh. It was a menacing, humorless laugh. Almost predatory. Wren had never once seen him smile, let alone laugh before. It sent a chill down her spine, making her feel uneasy.

      "To think you all managed to survive. I even went as far as to trap Avarice."

      Trik stepped forward.

      "We know you're resorting to shadow tactics because you can't beat us in an actual fight," he declared, his eyes darting to every corner of the room. Wren could see droplets of sweat trickle down his temple. He was scared. After seeing what Tymon did to Junichiro, knowing he would've been in a much worse state, why wouldn't he be? But Wren knew he was trying to put up a brave front for her.

      "Think so?" Tymon's voice was directed at Trevor. There wasn't a drop of amusement in it. Just indifference and a harsh callousness with a hint of pity. "If I fought the two of you now, wouldn't you be the first to die?"

      Wren stepped in front of Trevor, her eyes glowing light green.

      "Why don't you come try it?" she hissed. Like hell she'd let him take Trevor from her. She was ready. They both were. They'd have each other's back until the others showed up.

      "No. After killing the Holders, I realized just doing the same to you all wouldn't bring me any satisfaction. You'd simply be dead. That's not a mercy I was granted," He stated bitterly. "No....Instead, I intend to make things...personal."

      Junichiro's body suddenly jerked in his tank behind them as dark energy began to emit from him.

      "No..." Wren breathed as Junichiro's eyes snapped open and became solid black and beady. He released an outburst of dark energy that shattered the tank.

      Before them, in the middle of a puddle of solution that spread across the floor, stood Tymon, who'd taken over Junichiro's charred body.

      Tymon let out a long breath as he slicked back Junichiro's long hair. He looked down at his body as he evaluated the possession.

      "Hm," he grunted in that same distorted voice from before. "Even mostly dead, his will is strong. He's actually fighting me for control right now. He won't win."

      Wren surrounded herself in rapid gusts of strong winds as Trevor's body began to smoke.

      "GET OUT OF MY BROTHER'S BODY!" They shouted in unison. Suddenly, the doors flew open as Kaila entered.

      She took one second to get a sense of things and immediately released some of her blood, ready for a fight.

      "What's going on with Junichiro?" she demanded.