Chapter XIII: Isolated Prey

Damien blurred through the streets of a small town, heading toward a company building he was told was there. Just like in the other cities before this one, he concealed his energy in hopes of catching whoever had snatched Alissia off guard.

      Not sure whether he was stepping into an ambush, he opted that going undetected was the wisest option. Even with his abilities, a full-on fight would result in tons of human collateral damage, Alissia included.

      As Damien neared the area, he stopped a few blocks from a tall building he'd been searching for. He spotted a bubble-like veil at the top of the building. It matched the description of some cloaking device he was told was used when Naomi was attacked.

      That explains why Trik couldn't track them.

      To avoid the possibility of being trapped, he prepared to act quickly by using his Electric Embodiment, but to his astonishment, he noticed something quickly descending toward the ground.

      Is that...

      Somehow, he already knew the answer even as he squinted his eyes.

      In a fraction of a second, Damien's body burst forward with speed, producing a thundering boom as extensions of electricity arced into his surroundings as he raced toward Alissia, who was about to collide with the ground.

      Making it just in time to appear under her while she was still twenty feet in the air, he jumped toward her, coating her in his spirit energy as he intercepted her, then shot past the roof of the building before coming to a halt.

      "You okay?" he asked as they floated above the building below.

      Alissia's eyes were dilated as she looked around in shock before her brain caught up to what had happened.

      "Boy, am I glad to see you," she responded, her muscles untensed in his embrace.

      "Trik informed me about sensing Claeg's rapid approach when you were taken. Then he found a note written into the ground with a company name and a message telling Tymon to come here within an hour. We each separated to check each building in the country with this name. He's either sick in the head or not smart at all for not specifying."

      "I think it's a little of both," Alissia commented satirically. "He seems to be obsessed with Tymon. My guess is he wants to eat him like he tried to with Naomi."

      Before Damien could question her about it, Claeg suddenly appeared above them with a fist cocked back.

      Damien reflexively focused spirit enhancement onto his arms as he raised one of them just in time to block the attack.

      The force from Claeg's strike was so overwhelming it knocked Damien onto the roof of the building below, causing multiple fractures to spread outward on the roof from his landing.

      Along with his arms, Damien's mind was rattled. He hadn't expected a guy Claeg's size to be that quick or for him to be able to hit him.

      Claeg struck again, but this time, Damien was ready as he gracefully dodged even with Alissia in tow.

      Claeg began to chuckle with amusement as he stalked toward them with an intense hunger in his eyes.

      "You aren't who I preferred to show up, but you're still premium quality. Never had meat with a charge to it," he exhaled perniciously, making Damien's skin crawl.

      Before Claeg could start his next assault, Damien rushed toward him and struck him with a few solid kicks of his own before landing behind him, but Claeg stood unaffected by them.