Chapter X: Jovan the Beast (Pt.3)

"You're a coward," I hissed, my eyes glowing as I clenched my fists.

      Some of the guards' guns clicked as they readjusted their aim at me.

      Jovan smirked and raised an arm to keep his guards from firing. They all lowered their weapons and stood at attention.

      "A coward, huh?" He said as he glanced at Arne, who didn't say anything, but we both could tell they agreed.

      "Tell you what, you beat me, and I'll let the robot go," he suggested as he removed his shades to reveal his callous red eyes. "And I'll also agree to the alliance. That sounds fair?"

      I looked at Trik's head and body, and my blood boiled with rage as I imagined what Jovan planned to do to him.

      I locked gazes with him, my resolve set on getting Trik back.

      "I'm going to make you regret touching him," I threatened as I released every ounce of my spirit energy.

      The guards all stood shocked at my power. But they weren't the only ones surprised. Jovan became visibly more alert and assumed a fighting stance as he gauged my strength.

      "I heard you all were abnormally powerful, but this is unheard of," he said.

      It may just be me, but he seemed a bit nervous.

      I took a step forward.

      "Give me back, Trik, and we won't have to do this," I told him.

      Don't become too confident, Viraa's voice warned in my head just as Jovan's resolve returned, and he accomplished a spirit-enhanced acrobatic spin kick that should've been impossible for a guy his size.

      Using spirit enhancement on my arms, I managed to block it without taking damage, but the force behind his strike was enough to still knock me off balance, causing me to stumble back a few steps.

      "You may be more powerful, kid, but I've been around for over two centuries. I've lived through one of human history's darkest and most chaotic eras. You don't have the experience to be a real threat to me, girl," he said menacingly as he committed to another impressive display of agility and somersaulted toward me, his leg moving in a downward sweep.

      I dodged out of the way and scanned my surroundings for something I could use to even the odds until my gaze landed on a small dagger on a wall to my left.

      As I lunged for them, a small throwing knife suddenly embedded into the wall before me.

      I quickly looked in the direction it had come from and was suddenly rammed by a 200-pound goliath who sent me skidding across the room until I crashed into his desk. Papers, files, and sparks flew everywhere as my impact shattered the wooden desk.

      The attack had nearly knocked the wind out of me, but I slowly stood back up to see Jovan now holding the daggers.

      The closest weapon to me now was a specially crafted ax on a wall to my far right, but I knew I'd never make it there before getting a dagger in the back, or he'd reach me before I could make it there, so I chose the next best thing – a wooden cane lying on the floor next to me.

      It must've fallen from somewhere when I was sent flying. I guess his age was starting to catch up to him.

      I grabbed the cane and reinforced it with a strong coating of my spirit energy. Thankfully, I had more power than ordinary people and used some of it similarly to what I did at Damien's club. I put up a thin veil a few feet around me, but this time, I used it to extend my senses, allowing me to detect Jovan even through his quick movements as he maneuvered toward me. By the time I was done, Jovan was already before me, but I was already reacting to his presence, dodging his quick slash that would've left me with a scar similar to his.