Chapter XXI: Empty Lusts (Pt. 1)

Damien stood alert as Claeg looked around, still chewing on part of the Sub Deity's face. He noticed Claeg's expression falter as he eyed some spattered blood. Was he struggling to stay focused? Naomi had told Damien about how Claeg was impulsive regarding blood.

      Claeg shook his head to clear it, then bit into the dead human's face again, tearing off his nose and top lip in the process before tossing it to the side.

      "The fiery one's not here. Shame, I was told I could kill her," Claeg rolled his shoulders as he continued to walk forward. "Can't kill either of you...Dammit, holding back isn't my style. Still, I've been on a bad streak lately, so I'll be taking at least one of you back with me."

      He looked at Damien with disappointment. "Consider yourself lucky. He wants you alive."

      Tymon stepped forward.

      "And me? Do you think I'll stand by and let you take him?"

      Claeg gave Tymon an irritated and reluctant expression.

      "Sadly, I was told not to fight you alone, and I'm trying to follow orders, so it'd help me a lot if you did just stand there," he replied matter-of-factly.

      Damien let out a small laugh. "Aw, he's honest."

      Claeg flashed a toothy smile at them. "But, of course, I don't expect you to listen."

      Then he charged straight for Damien.

      Damien and Tymon charged at Claeg and clashed against him; the shockwave from all three of their strength generated a strong wind that pushed outward from them, causing leaves to flip violently through the air and the aircraft to shake.

      Damien and Tymon were trying to keep a low profile, so they refrained from using their spirit energy, but this put them at an even greater disadvantage against Claeg's monstrous strength. Pleased by his superior strength, Claeg grinned as he began to move forward regardless of their resistance; their feet dug into the artificial ground as he pushed them back.

      During the struggle, Damien spotted Claeg's holo-bracelet blinking red before he and Tymon jumped back. Then Damien received an incoming call through his c-chip.

      "Trik, now's not a good time," Damien answered.

      "The one known as Kaila seems to be heading toward you and Mr. Kage."

      "What? Why? How'd she get past Za'Fia? And how'd she know to come here?" Damien inquired as it suddenly dawned on him that Claeg's blinking holo-bracelet must be signaling to the others. "Never mind on that last question. Is Za'Fia okay?"

      "I know she's alive, and her signal is strong, so she should still be fine," Trik answered.

      "Okay, thanks for the heads up," Damien hung up and looked at Tymon. "We need to leave."

      Tymon glanced at Claeg's blinking bracelet as realization set in. "Right."

      Damien heard Claeg suck his teeth in distaste. Before they could make their escape, he called out to Tymon.

      "You know, Avarice and Verin have plans for your human, don't you? She almost died while you were cowering for days when I took her from those you thought could keep her safe," he goaded.

      Damien and Tymon ignored his antics.

      "I gotta say, for a human, she has a nice body. Tight hips, toned legs, perfect-sized breasts. It felt good to hold her close. Her soft lips as she prayed you'd care enough to show up. She was...irresistible. But as they always do, she resisted. Poor thing ended up falling off the side of a building." he looked at Damien. "Thanks for saving her, by the way. I would've been in trouble had she died."