Chapter IV: Colorful Displays (Pt. 2)

"It was a complete accident last time, but I bet there are some amazing things we can do should we combine them on a bigger scale," Damien remarked as he began to reshape the metal subconsciously.

      By the time he noticed what he was doing, the metal had become a tiny, floating sculpture of a girl. His smile faded once he looked at it.

      The table and chairs were softly brought back to the floor as the mood quickly shifted.

      "Who's that," I asked as the figure landed on the table.

      "No one," Damien answered as, with a swipe of his hand, the figure melted.

      There was an awkward silence that hung in the air.

      "So, where's Tymon? I haven't seen him around," Damien asked, clearly changing the subject.

      Naomi looked down sheepishly.

      "He and Za'Fia split from us," I answered plainly to avoid rethinking about it. "How do you know him?"

      "A few years ago, when his energy first appeared, I went to see who was behind that much power," Damien told us. "I got close enough to see him, but by then, Za'Fia had already found him and would always stop me from getting closer. Of course, that only made me even more curious, so I would secretly observe him when she wasn't around. Before I knew it, I'd grown fond of him."

      So, that's what Naomi meant...

      "Suffice it to say, Za'Fia caught me. One day, after telling Za'Fia about his past, she and I started detecting someone occasionally watching Tymon. Then my spying became more of me looking after Tymon so that Za'Fia and I could figure out what happened to him," Damien explained.

      "Tymon only ever mentioned having one friend. Did you never introduce yourself to him?" I asked.

      Damien shook his head.

      "I kept my distance because I didn't want my Submission to affect him like everyone else. I didn't want him inflicted with false emotions toward me," he remarked.

      "How noble of you," Viraa interjected. "But do not worry, Tymon possesses a cintracy that shields him from most other cintracies and abilities. He would not be affected."

      "Oh?" Damien said. There was a glint of hope that flickered in his eyes.

      I happened to look at the glass window to the corridor outside the office. I spotted Trik floating by through part of the window not covered by the blinds, looking a bit glum.

      Again? What's going on with him? I'm getting to the bottom of this.

      I rose from my seat, left the office, caught up to Trik, and grabbed his hand.

      "Come with me," I told him sternly.

      "What are you–where are we going," he asked, confused.

      I led him to my room and locked the door behind us.

      Turning from the door, I gestured to my bed.

      "Sit," I told him.

      We both sat on the edge of my bed.

      "Why have you been looking so down lately?" I asked him directly.

      "Just now, earlier in Cloud 9, and even back in Poland. What's going on?" I continued with concern.

      Trik shrugged and shook his head.

      "Nothing, I mean, a lot's about to happen," he offered as his excuse. "We've only got one more Primordial to find, then a lot of fighting's gonna start. Can't stop thinking about what's next, I guess."

      "You're lying, Trik," I stated sharply.

      "No, I'm not," he responded, a little despondent.

      "Then that's not the full truth," I pressed.

      Trik hung his head.

      "Come on, Trik, confide in me," I urged him.

      Trik continued to keep his head lowered. I reached out and placed my hands on his cheeks, cupping his chin, then tilted his head until he could look at me.

      He stared into my caring eyes for at least half a minute before finally caving.

      "Fine," he said hoarsely as he snatched his head away.

      "I'm jealous, okay! I'm sick of being...this!" He said, raising his arms before him.

      "I have the same complexities as a human but can't enjoy the same sensations, whether it's pain or pleasure," he vented. "I want to be able to bleed when I'm cut or shiver when I'm cold. I want to feel my body warm up from within after drinking hot chocolate on a cold winter day or feel my stomach hurt from overeating. I want to feel my heart beating incredibly fast when I'm in love with someone...I want to feel tears run down my cheek...in times like this when I feel like crying..."

      I instinctively reached out and held him close to me.

      "I'm sorry. I wish there were a way for me to give you what you want," I said, teary-eyed, as one fell. "But know that I – no, we – accept you even as an AI."

      "Besides, if you were human, you couldn't do all the amazing things you can do," I said, trying to cheer him up.

      "If I were human, I wouldn't have to worry about outliving you either. I could grow old with my sister. Not watch her die slowly as I'm forced to go on," he said in a low voice.

      I silently wrapped my arms around him more and hugged him tighter.

------

Fun fact: Damien's favorite hobby is gardening

Fun fact: Damien's favorite hobby is gardening. Due to the environment he works in he's very limited to gardening more than the roses he keeps on his bedroom balcony, but he used to do a lot of gardening before he found his success. 

Enjoying the story? Have any constructive criticisms? Leave a like or comment to share your thoughts with me. :)

Super Supporters: Want to learn everything up-to-date and get exclusive information about your favorite character(s)? Visit the series' Patreon account at patreon.com/primordials

or visit their Ko-fi account at ko-fi.com/otherworldsjt

Media

IG: otherworldsjt

Twitter: jt_fnx

Thank you for your support :)