Chapter XXIV: Counterstrike (Pt.3)

Trik tracked Alissia as she disappeared into a thick forest, exiting the city a few miles away. She moved quickly, most likely relying on her compact board. Admittedly, Trik regretted having that be his last moment with her...

      Just then, Verin roughly landed several feet before him.

      "What do you want?" Trik asked, hoping to bide time.

      Verin didn't answer. Instead, she flashed a soft smile as she approached him. "Trik, wasn't it? You know, I saw you staring at me the last time we met..."

      "I was sizing up the enemy. It's my job," he replied, holding his chin up defiantly as she circled him. Being this close, he noticed that she smelled intoxicating. It was difficult to express, but the image of a clear, cool summer night in a field of fresh violets popped into Trik's head.

      He shook the thought out of his head. He had a role to complete.

      She tapped several different spots on his body curiously as she inspected him.

      "And when you were trying not to stare at the convention? Were you sizing me up then, too?"

      Trik noticed Alissia had stopped moving. What was she doing!?

      Don't tell me she's watching.... Why would she torment herself in such a way? Why can't she ever just listen to me?

      He knew she was nowhere near far enough away to be stopping. He needed to buy more time–somehow keep Verin distracted. Maybe he could also find a way to misdirect her before she destroyed him. That would be helpful.

      "Well, you are a stunning woman," Trik responded as his mind raced, knowing that a compliment would unlikely affect a woman like Verin.

      "Really, you think so? Well, since we're being honest, I've been interested in you too," she reciprocated unexpectedly.

      Trik levitated, stunned and speechless, as she put her face close to his. If his heart had a beat, it would've been going a mile a minute.

      "I'm astonished at the Hearts' work – creating sentience from metal. It's truly amazing – you're amazing," she continued as her gaze caressed the frames of Trik's face and body. He was starting to feel weird. No one had ever admired him that way before.

      "To think they could create such an intricate and complex being as yourself, an artificial intelligence capable of experiencing the same emotions a person can....I'd very much like to learn everything about you—inside and out."

      Her passionate stare bore into Trik's eyes as she leaned in.

      "Say, can you feel pain like everyone else?"

      "N-no, not physically," Trik answered.

      The passion in Verin's eyes disappeared instantly, her vibes suddenly changing as he could see her visibly lose interest in him.

      "That's too bad," she said, straightening herself. "You're just useless junk then."

      Trik couldn't pretend that didn't hurt. Disheartened, he averted his eyes from her. He had been prepared for her to destroy him physically, but he hadn't expected her to crush his spirit—and to do it so easily...

      "Actually," she said while looking in the direction Alissia was in, "Maybe not completely useless."

      She grinned wickedly before gripping Trik's head and rushing toward Alissia.

****