Chapter XXIII: While We Wait (Pt.1)

Tymon and Damien sped several miles from Avarice's lab, keeping a low profile. They stopped once they reached a large rock platform that made them difficult to spot.

      "Interesting ability," Damien commented as he lightly swiped away red dust from his silk jacket sleeves.

      "Yeah, it's been coming in handy lately," Tymon responded as he touched the shadow the rock formed. When they exited it from the other side, they were back in Za'Fia's underwater cave, but she wasn't there yet.

      "What's this place?" Damien asked, touching the walls. He flicked some broken PRP that fell to the cave floor. "It seems a little worn."

      "It used to be beautiful. The prisms lit up the place, but I had to use it to gain control of my hybrid form."

      "Ah." Damien pointed a finger at the mini nuclear generator as he stood beside it. "What's this?"

      "A generator – she used it to power the PRP," Tymon replied, finding a spot to sit while they waited for Za'Fia.

      "How'd she get her hands on something like this?"

      Tymon shrugged as he leaned back against the cave walls with his arms folded behind his head so his hands could serve as a pillow. He closed his eyes.

      "I think she mentioned a guy giving it to her."

      "Charming someone out of a nuclear generator...sounds like her," Damien stated in an endearing tone.

      "Really? I'd say that's hard to believe, but she did pretend to be human for the two years I've known her," Tymon responded casually. "Although, she had her reasons."

      "You don't seem to hate her for it. In fact, you seem a little closer now from what I hear," Damien stated. Strangely, Tymon detected a twinge of curiosity and hope in his voice.

      "Why would I hate her? She never took advantage of me or did anything to make me not trust her. If anything, she protected me when I couldn't protect myself."

      As Tymon sat there, he could feel Damien's gaze, causing him to open his eyes.

      "You good?"

      Damien smiled and nodded.

      "Yeah, I'm fine."

      For a moment, as Tymon closed his eyes again, the lapping of water from the pool leading to the ocean could be heard as they waited in silence. Then Damien spurred on a new conversation.

      "So, you have any interests?" He asked suddenly.

      Interests? Like food? Hobbies? Tymon pondered.

      "What do you mean?" He asked aloud.

      "Romantically," Damien answered. "You ever consider dating anyone?"

      Tymon opened his eyes, blinking a few times. The sudden question threw him off, but he thought about it anyway as the memory of the feelings that sparked within him a few days ago resurfaced. He recalled his face feeling flushed and his heart racing as Za'Fia stood close to him. Her lips had almost touched his.

      Tymon starts to feel his face flush again and shakes the thought out of his head. He wasn't sure how to respond to those feelings.

      "I haven't given it much thought," he replied. "But if I were to consider it, it would be Za'Fia. Or Naomi if she gets a handle on what's troubling her. But I've been with a human in the past. It didn't turn out well."

      Tymon heard Damien mutter something like, "Neither did mine..."

      "What was that?" He asked, opening an eye to glance at Damien.

      Damien shook his head and gave Tymon a wry smile.

      "Za'Fia and Naomi...they're both beautiful, aren't they?"

      "Sure, I guess," Tymon responded honestly as he pictured them in his mind. "But I'm not interested in romancing anyone right now. Those kinds of emotions are bound to get in the way."

      "I suppose so," Damien murmured. Tymon could see the pain and disappointment in his eyes. He hadn't meant to crush any hopes or dreams Damien might've had. Socializing was always a difficult skill for him.

      Feeling guilty, Tymon chose to show some interest in return.

      "What about you? With your abilities, I'm sure you can get anyone you want."

      Damien's expression turned sour.

      "Ironically, love is something I struggle with too." He sighed before continuing with a feigned smile. "It doesn't matter; the guy I want will never be mine. Of course, that only makes me yearn for him more."

      "Hm." Tymon assumed Damien was referring to the human he mumbled about. "Is he dead or something?"

      "Or something..."

      Suddenly, Za'Fia burst from the ocean water pool as she entered the cave. Strangely enough, she was barefooted. No. At a closer look, Tymon could see more of her legs too. Was she naked underneath the cloak?

      She glanced at both of them, clearly not surprised to see Damien.

      "Why are you here?" she directed at Damien as she walked to a nearby wall to grab one of her backup spatial bags, which she took to her secluded changing area in the back of the cave.

      "I was helping Tymon, of course," Damien shrugged.

      "Right, of course," she responded sarcastically.

      When she emerged from her corner with new clothes on – nothing fancy, just an orange t-shirt, some jeans, and sneakers – she stood before Damien and firmly placed her hands on her hips in defiance.

      "I don't want you here."

      "Why not?" Damien smirked.

      "Because..." Za'Fia glared at him as she struggled to get say out loud. Then, her cheeks puffed in frustration. "Stop ruining things and go away."

      "Aw, you're cute when you're flustered," Damien antagonized as he looked down at her.

      Za'Fia's eyes flared.

      "That's enough, you two. Stop squawking; we have things to do." Tymon commanded as he walked between them.

      Damien grinned at Za'Fia, who rolled her eyes.

      "So, what was up with you two releasing your energy earlier?" Za'Fia asked.

      "Claeg got to me," Tymon answered without facing them. "He played on my emotions. Something that won't happen again."

      Tymon's expression displayed his apparent disinterest in continuing the conversation.

      "Well, that's all the Holders and Sub Deities, right?" Za'Fia changed the subject.