Chapter XXIV: Counterstrike (Pt.1)

Later that evening...

      Verin headed toward the table where Wren, Trevor, and Junichiro sat. Junichiro had emerged from the tank, fully recovered, an hour ago. Since awakening, he'd been uncharacteristically restless, his hand constantly on the hilt of his sword. Now, it was just the four inside the lab while Avarice went to handle matters concerning the humans to keep them in the dark for as long as possible. Kaila and Claeg were outside nearby, hunting before they drove Verin crazy.

      Now's the time, she thought, walking toward them. Now was the time to move before Avarice showed up to stop her.

      "You three. I have an assignment for you," she delivered authoritatively. She reminded them that since each base and factory was destroyed, their fighting force had been reduced to just them, likely giving the humans behind the Primordials hope; she wasn't fond of that idea. "The original plan was to send our humans to attack their HQs to limit their numbers and break the girl's spirit, but now I'm sending you three. Tymon, Michael, and Za'Fia aren't with them, so this is the perfect time to wipe the others out before they show up again."

      "The looks on their faces..." Verin chuckled softly, almost shuddering in anticipation. "As for the human, I'll capture her myself."

      Trevor looked at her with uncertainty.

      "What about Pops? Didn't he sa—"

      "Father has let his love for us cloud his judgment," Junichiro interrupted. He leaned forward, gripping his hilt tightly; his intense stare held each of them. "I felt Tymon's will. He will continue to grow and prove to be an impossible threat if we do not act. When his will invaded my mind, I could feel what motivated him so fervently. He wants to protect the others. The Primordials – he has over a millennium of memories with them. Regardless of them not having memories of him, he will make sure they do not suffer the same fate he did. Then there is the human – he wants to protect the Watchers for her. That is why he justified killing our soldiers. Still, it is not something he was fond of doing. He is not as heartless as I initially presumed. Tonight, we make all the murder he stained his soul with be in vain."

      Wren looked at Trevor with uncertainty, then at Junichiro, before her gaze lowered to the table.

      "I don't know, J, Dad will b—"

      Verin smacked the palm of her hand hard onto the table's surface.

      "Wren, how would you have felt if it had been Trevor hit by that explosion?" She urged impatiently. "Trevor, what if it was Wren? Either one of you could have died because of these ingrates and those pests, Tymon especially. Tymon knows Avarice. He knows, just like anyone else, that if you want to manipulate someone, use those they care about. That's why he lied earlier, saying some of you would die. But that's all it was – a lie. He won't expect us to strike back this soon; otherwise, he'd be with the others. Instead, he's likely planning his next attack on us."

      She walked over to Trevor and gently touched his shoulder, softening her voice while keeping it firm. "This is the perfect opportunity to show him we can't be manipulated. Avarice may initially disapprove, but he'll be proud when he sees the results – proud of both of you for stepping forward and doing what needed to be done. For enacting a path that even he couldn't see."

      Trevor and Wren looked at each other, their eyes communicating silently as Verin felt her words sway them.

      Wren gave her a nervous smile that slowly morphed into one of confidence. Trevor nodded his head and looked from Verin to Junichiro.

      "Okay. We're in."

      "Good, you're making a wise decision," Verin praised them. Then, with a somber expression, she continued. "Now, here are your assignments..."

****