Ch. 6 Parent-Child Relationship

Sitting in a café in a town on an island they stopped by for resupply, he sips on coffee while reading the newspaper.

There, it was written that Douglas Bullet had been captured. Considering the time when the Buster Call was initiated against Bullet, it must be around 23 years before the start of the original story.

That would mean around the time I entered Cipher Pol, the incident at Ohara would occur. Well, to be honest, it's not like I have no connection to it, but I have no intention of getting involved in this matter.

Or rather, to be more precise, I have no intention of rescuing Nico Robin.

I believe that there is nothing that I cannot do. If I pay enough attention to my father's movements during a certain period, I should be able to figure out whether it's Robin or Olvia. In fact, if I want to, I can rescue them both.

However, there's no reason for me to do that. In fact, I am seeking "something in return" for helping others. It's not that I deny helping people without expecting anything in return. There are those like Luffy and his crew in the original story who are willing to risk their lives to help others even without expecting anything in return.

I think that's admirable, and I respect that... But I have no intention of doing the same.

I seek something in return for helping people. It could be the feeling of superiority from receiving gratitude or favor from the person I helped, or even more directly, I may want some tangible reward.

It's like a balance scale. If the value of the risk involved in helping someone and the expected return balance out or if the return outweighs the risk, I will help. But if the risk is greater, I won't lend a hand.

The Ohara incident is a prime example of when the risk and return are completely imbalanced. The possibility of antagonizing the World Government, encountering the future Admirals on the scene, and even the chance of my identity being exposed and getting a bounty on my head.

What can I gain from taking such risks? Gratitude and goodwill from Robin? She may be beautiful, but unfortunately, the risk of my future plans being ruined is far greater.

The World Government is undoubtedly mighty... needless to say, the largest and most powerful organization in the world. Unless there is a very compelling reason, opposing them is absurd.

In that sense, I truly think Luffy and the others in the original story have tremendous courage. One could argue that since they were originally criminals as pirates, it worked out for them... but anyway, because of that, I have no intention of getting involved in the Ohara incident.

While pondering about these things, he takes out a considerably diminished stack of wanted posters. In the year and a half of training, he has hunted down quite a few pirates who were not under the command of the Four Emperors or anything. Pirates who were relatively easy to handle and had a certain level of strength.

In the end, he didn't cash them in; they were all made to sink to the bottom of the sea... However, for the sake of concealing information, it wasn't much of a concern as pirate battles were happening all over the place, and many pirates were reported missing.

But after a year and a half, with the latter half of the sea... the New World's power balance consolidating, and the Marine's security system improving, the risk of being exposed had increased.

He has thoroughly sharpened his Haki, and almost mastered its application. Speaking of Haki, it's not like Luffy, a versatile type with one aspect being exceptional, but rather, it seems I have a balanced aptitude for all types of Haki.