Ch. 14 The Madness of Three Different Individuals

For me, a superior is like a messenger delivering the World Government's will to me. So, I don't particularly care whether they are competent or not.

As long as they correctly convey the government's orders, that's sufficient... Well, perhaps it's better to have a competent superior than an incompetent one, but...

Having mastered Rokushiki before the others who trained together at Guanhao, I began my full-fledged activities as a World Government intelligence agent.

The purpose seemed to be to gain experience, as my missions covered various locations and types. Being temporarily assigned to several departments was part of it.

It wasn't every CP department, but after short-term assignments at CP2 and CP5, I am already scheduled to be assigned to CP9 at the same time as those who trained together at Guanhao.

When my short-term assignment at CP2 was over, it was decided that I would be assigned to CP5 next. Upon hearing this, the chief of CP2 informed me with a somewhat bitter expression.

"The current chief of CP5 you'll be joining is Spandam... He's also the son of CP9's chief, Spandine, and a nepotism hire. Personally, I dislike him, but he seems to be somewhat capable. Well, take it as a reference."

"Understood."

It seemed that the CP2 chief had some resentment towards Spandam, or rather, towards Spandine, his father. He unilaterally spoke with a certain bias.

Even with such resentment, the fact that he evaluated Spandam as "somewhat capable" indicated that he was quite competent... I couldn't care less.

I've seen countless people who are slightly more competent or less competent, and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm just here to carry out the government's orders.

***

"...Haah."

The conversation from my previous assignment came to mind, and an unintended dry smile escaped my lips.

The man before me, CP5 Chief Spandam, continued explaining the upcoming tasks while glancing at the documents I brought. As I observed him, I couldn't help but recall the face of CP2's chief.

...Who is that guy? Are his eyes rotten or something? How could he possibly describe this 'monster' as a nepotism hire?

From the moment I saw him, I knew. This man was different; he possessed an incomparable presence, as if an enormous monster had been compressed into a human body, defying all logic.

With him around, it almost felt like the space itself was screaming in agony; such was the overwhelming power I sensed. Although I couldn't feel any pressure, it was proof that this chief had complete control over his own strength.

Really, what a joke is this?

It was a strange feeling. The man before me was a monster capable of easily destroying the world if he so desired.

But this monster, sitting so politely in this small position called CP5, was rather amusing.

"...That's all. Any questions?"

After finishing the explanation about the short-term assignment, the chief asked if there were any questions. Now, what should I do? I was genuinely curious.

Not just about the overwhelming power he possessed but more so about the madness reflected in his eyes...

"I have no questions about the short-term assignment, but may I ask a personal question?"

"Sure... And you don't need to use formal language. As long as you use it appropriately, it's fine."

"Alright, then I'll speak casually. Do you believe weakness is a sin?"