Ch. 18 The Value of Accepting Freedom

In the Pangaea Castle located in the holy land, Mary Geoise, the highest-ranking individuals among the World Nobles and the pinnacle of the World Government, are the Five Elders.

Well, with my knowledge of the original story, I know that there are even higher-ups, but that's something most people wouldn't know, so for the general public, they are at the top of the world.

"Sudden visit, pardon our intrusion."

"Yes, indeed. We don't have the luxury to meet anyone without an appointment."

"Indeed. We have specially set aside time this time to appreciate your usual performance."

"So, what's the matter?"

As they are my superiors, I must use respectful language. I hope my anger that's boiling inside me doesn't show on my face...

Prompted by the Five Elders to state my business, I lightly raised the document I had in my hand.

"I'd like to inquire about this absurd report. It claims that one of our members, Fizz, colluded with the Red-Haired Pirates and assisted in the theft of a Devil Fruit during the escort mission... Even if you assign a child to do it, I would expect a somewhat better post-event report. Moreover, there's not even decent evidence to support such a baseless accusation, and he was immediately arrested and imprisoned without any trial... Do you really expect me to accept this?"

"You're quite audacious. So, what are you trying to say?"

"If you're trying to frame someone with such a preposterous claim, you're indirectly telling me to turn to my immediate superior. Of course, if such a ridiculous order comes, I will flatly reject it... Anyway, I won't accept this kind of content. I will bring Fizz back, even if I have to force it."

As I made that declaration, I sensed the tension in the air rising. The Five Elders probably recognize me as a relatively powerful figure within the government, being the son of Spandine, and they might have some appreciation for my work.

As they said in the beginning, that's probably why they agreed to meet with me despite the sudden visit. But whether they will grant my request or not is a different story... Now, how will they respond?

"...It seems you're misunderstanding something."

"Oh? Is that so?"

As one of the Five Elders mumbled, I sensed three out of the four people who had been hidden in the room moving towards me. I can't probe too deeply, as my observation Haki is always active at a certain level, but their movements were quite skilled... CP0?

My guess was correct, and as expected, three CP0 agents wearing white suits and masks appeared, some of whom I recognized from the original story, but there were also unfamiliar faces... The remaining person must be positioned as a guard behind the Five Elders.

"Even within the Marines, there are those we allow to do as they please while overlooking their actions."

"But that doesn't apply to everyone."

"Indeed. It's precisely because we deem them worthy of some selfishness and self-centeredness that we allow such behavior."

"You are indeed talented, and your parents hold significant positions within the government."

"However, never forget that you're only worth so much."

Well, I must say they're perfectly in sync with each other. Now, who exactly is it that doesn't understand...?

"CP0, huh... You didn't call me here specifically for that, did you?"

"Of course not. We called you here to assign a separate mission. But it seems fitting to punish those who misunderstand."