Ch. 16 CP9's New Commander-in-Chief

Located in the first half of the Grand Line, Enies Lobby is a directly controlled territory of the World Government and is known as the "Island that Never Sleeps" because it remains in perpetual night. For 800 years since its establishment, this island has been an impregnable fortress that neither allows intruders nor allows anyone to escape.

Enies Lobby is a unique place even among the government's covert intelligence agency, Cipher Pol, and it serves as the base of CP9, a group that has been granted permission by the World Government to execute even uncooperative citizens under the guise of "dark justice."

The island is guarded by over 10,000 troops, including resident marines and watchmen, but the members of CP9, who reign at the top, are only a very small fraction of the overall force.

However, all the members are highly skilled experts in Rokushiki (Six Powers), making them an extremely powerful and undefeated organization.

Currently, the members of CP9 have gathered in one of the rooms at the center of Enies Lobby's Tower of Justice. The reason for their gathering is simple: Today, a new Commander-in-Chief of CP9, effectively the new highest authority in Enies Lobby, is taking office, and they have assembled to offer their greetings.

However, not all members are present, as some are on missions, and currently, the room only houses four members: Kaku, Jabra, Blueno, and Kalifa.

"The new Chief, huh? They say he's the son of the previous Chief, but let's hope he's better than the previous one," Kaku said.

"Well, who knows? I barely even talked to the previous Chief. To think that the change of Commanders is happening so soon after my formal assignment... Oh well," added Kalifa.

While sitting on the sofa, Jabra responded in a somewhat lethargic tone, and Kaku, being the youngest and the most recently assigned to CP9, mentioned that he didn't have much interaction with the previous Chief either.

"Regardless of who it is, as long as they fulfill the minimum duties of a Commander-in-Chief, there shouldn't be any problems," Blueno chimed in.

"Yeah... Oh, by the way, where's Lucci?" Kalifa inquired.

After agreeing with Blueno's statement, Kalifa looked around, realizing that one of their members, Lucci, was missing.

"Oh, Lucci said he had something to take care of and left. He said he'd be back soon," Kaku replied.

"Something to take care of? What could it be?" Kalifa wondered.

Kaku didn't have more information on Lucci's whereabouts, and he found it curious as well.

Normally, Lucci was calm and composed, and though he occasionally showed a smile or a gentle expression around his peers from Guanhao, it was still rare for him to express his emotions so openly.

Anyway, Lucci seemed to be in a good mood, occasionally smiling as if remembering something, and that left an impression on the others.

A short while later, they heard footsteps, and the door opened as Lucci, holding a paper bag, walked in.

"Hey, you're quite late. Genius-sama, were you attending an executive meeting?" Jabra teased.

"No, I just went shopping for a bit," Lucci replied.

"Shopping?"

"Well, you'll find out eventually."

Curious about Lucci's high spirits, Jabra, who usually likes to provoke and interact with others, tried to taunt him, but Lucci only responded with a faint smile, looking extremely delighted.