evangeline douglas.

Evangeline Douglas was Clover's best friend before Gavin fucked that up. She was a golden blonde, the most beautifulest girl you'd ever seen, with brown eyes like chocolate.

It was scary texting Evangeline. Knowing that Clover fucked up so badly.

New Message: Evangeline 1.
Hey. I didn't expect to hear from you. I'd love to catch up. Facetime?

Clover inhaled. Thought it over for a few minutes. And facetimed Evangeline.

"Hey," Clover spoke first, setting her phone up against something so Evangeline could see her full view.

"Holy shit," Evangeline said. "You look amazing, Lovie."

Lovie was a nickname Evangeline made for Clover in Year 5. Clover has many nicknames — but Lovie was one of Clover's favorites. So, a smile appeared on her face.

"Thank you, Angel," Clover took the compliment, looking down at her outfit. "You look so good. Did you get a haircut?"

"I did!" Evangeline beamed. "Cut off 5 inches. It was awesome. I feel so free."

"It looks so good on you," Clover said with a small smile. "Um. I wanted to talk cause... well. You know why."

Evangeline also set up her phone in a new room Clover hadn't seen yet. A few months ago, Clover found out she had moved to a new house — near Clover's, through the grapevine.

"Yeah," Evangeline exhaled. "Go ahead."

"I wanna say first, that I'm so sorry." Clover began. "Sorry doesn't even begin to show you how fucking sorry I am for how everything happened. It was immature on my part, extremely, and I wish I handled it a lot better than I did."

"I'm sorry, too." Evangeline said softly. "I could've said some nicer things to you. I'm sorry."

Clover sent her a small smile and hugged her knees. Clover was wearing plaid pajamas and one of Luke's tour t-shirts from his closet along with fuzzy socks.

"I want to... give you the full story," Clover said. "Of why I did what I did. I know it doesn't matter much now, but I think you deserve closure. Some explanation."

Evangeline exhaled. "I would love one. However, if something is too.. traumatizing for you to share, I don't want you to feel like you have to live it through words again."

"I'll stop if I need to," Clover confirmed.

Clover began the story with ease.

"Gavin was abusive," Clover began. "Physically and emotionally abusive. Majorly. He was awful — an awful fucking person, you were right to shout at me about staying."

"Before you begin," Evangeline began. "You should know that Parker Cameron and Silas Williams heard about Gavin being an abusive asshole from Gavin talking about it, and they beat him up."

Clover's eyes widened.

Clover Hemmings, Evangeline Douglas, Parker Cameron, Silas Williams and another girl named Kennedy Alore all had a friend group. A tight one. They would laugh in class, be obnoxious, you name it. They all spread apart in Year 10, when Gavin started forcing Clover away.

"They did?" Clover gasped.

"Fuck yeah," Evangeline nodded. "I was at Kennedy's party, and Gavin came. I was already on edge. Parker and Silas came up to me for the first time in months and asked if I had heard from you. I said that you had been gone for a long time, and that we hadn't talked — then they asked if it was true. I knew it was true. Basically. So I told them. Next thing I knew, Silas looked absolutely pissed and Parker punched Gavin."

"Oh my god," Clover gasped. "Did they get in trouble?"

"No," Evangeline said. "Gavin left angrily and it's been 3 weeks since it happened. So."

Clover frowned. "I haven't spoken to Parker, Silas or Kennedy in forever. I feel bad."

"Don't," Evangeline said. "They did it for you. After you go to bed, I will talk to them. Text them. And tell them about how I heard from you."

Clover nodded. Cleared her throat. "Anyway," Clover hummed. "My brother found out somehow and sent me to America. The famous one. And he found out that Gavin had been hurting me when I was trying to put bandages on this big ass bruise he gave me. I cried a lot. Then broke up with Gavin. It was going well, until I went home for a week."

She inhaled.

"He saw me getting the mail and threw me around like I was a fucking ragdoll. My brothers heard and he ran after nearly getting punched," Clover said. "Then, he got a whole new number and called me — shouting and begging me for something I wasn't going to give him."

"Fuck, Lovie," Evangeline said softly. "I knew he was abusive — I didn't know it was this bad."

Clover nodded gently. "Yeah." She rubbed her hands together. "And what happened between you and me, between us all was entirely my fault."

"It was Gavin's fault." Evangeline insisted. "I understand that you were so vulnerable. I understand your position. I don't blame you, at all, Clo."

Clover smiled a little.

"I've been wanting to reach out since Parker and Silas asked me if I'd heard from you. I searched up your Instagram and everything. I told Parker and Silas that you were in America. I've been wanting to see you so bad, Lovie." Evangeline told Clover. "When are you back in town?"

"Soon." Clover nodded. "I promise."

"So, just to clarify," Evangeline said, "You're away from Gavin? Completely?"

"Yes." Clover nodded. "Completely."

"Good." Evangeline smiled. "Now that we're past the awkwardness. I want to update you about my life."

Evangeline and Clover talked for a good 6 hours that night.