Chapter 3

I called a taxi and I’m already going trough the door.
“I will call you every evening.” I say to my mom.
“Okay, I will be waiting for your call. Now go if you don’t want to be late.” She says and waves to me.
“The nurse should come any minute.” I say again and my mother laughs “I’m not a little girl I know how to talk with people. Now, please go.” She says softly and I sigh.
“Okay… Bye mom.” I say a bit sadly and peck on her cheek.
“Good luck, honey.” She says and strokes my head.
I waited outside for my taxi to arrive
-------------------------------------------
“Ah! Miss Brighton!” shouts one of the yesterday’s men and shows me to go there.
“Come, I will help you.” Says another one and quickly comes to take my luggage. Well, it was a nice act. I can’t complain about this.
“We should already go to the plane.” He says and I just take a deep breathe and nod.
“Don’t worry, ma'am. We’re sure that everything will be fine.”
"Easy to talk for you.” I say a bit nervously and he laughs.
“As we know you’re very ambitious and that’s why your results are really impressive. Federation really wanted you to accept our offer.” He says and I look at him confused.
“Sorry but no matter how ambitious a woman is I have never heard that some of our gender would be a coach of men not boys but men team.” I say as we’re going to our plane. We are already outside.
“Well, then…you just rewrote the history.” He says and smiles to me widely and but I just run with my hand trough my hair because I’m still thinking why I am here…
We sit in our place and the one who is sitting next to me takes something from his bag and gives it to me.

“Our day plan is like this: when we will land in England we will take you to the hotel that you could put your stuff there. Then at 12 am we will go the federation where you will sign the contract. There you will get some new clothes and some other stuff. And then at 8pm there will be a conference in which you will be represented as a new coach.” He says everything slowly that I would understand in his accent.
“Okay.” I say with a bit shaking voice. I bet it’s not because of a plane.
“Great then. Enjoy the flight.” He says politely and I turn to the window.

Here I come…
--------------------------------------------

Wow, the city is really awesome. I keep looking trough the car’s window while we are driving to the federation. Well I know that England is amazing  and I saw some things from photos, bet when you see it by yourself it’s more fascinating. Just…Woah!
“Here we are.” Says the representatives and I look at the building and swallow something from my throat. I get out of the car and fix my look nervously.

“You’re looking good, ma'am.” Says the one who always calls me like that. It sounds strange. I would really prefer him not calling me like that.

“Let’s go.” Says the other one and heads to the door and we both follow him.

We walk to the second floor and reach the door from glass. The one (I know that the one is bothering you already but I really don’t know who is who so I just call them like that…at least for now). So the one who is calling me ma'am opens the door for me and I smile him thankfully and go inside a huge, expensive decorated room in which middle is standing a not so young man with already a bit silver hair and a wide smile on his face. And I can’t not to notice his expensive attire. I bet it’s the director of the federation.

“Sinjorita Brighton!” he says happily and open-armed and I just put on my face not so natural smile. Sinjorita…

“It’s so good to see you.” He says with funnier accent than those two who were leading me the whole trip.
“Hello.” I say politely still with a smile on my face and shake his hand.
“No complications during the trip?” he asks looking at me with his sparkling small eyes.
“No.” I say and shake my head.

“No? Great then. Let’s sit at the table.” He says and shows me with his hand to sit at the table. I go and prepare to withdraw the chair when one of my ‘friends’ do it for me. I look at him and smile thankfully and sit on the chair. Probably I could get used to this.

The director sits in front of me and he’s still with a smile. To say the truth he didn’t stop smiling even for a second.

‘I hope that our men introduced our offer to you.” He says nicely and I keep looking at him.

“Well, I guess.” I say a bit unsure “I mean they told me what you want from me, how long I am hired for this job and the conditions.” I say and shrug my shoulders.

“Very good.” He says and pushes a paper which was on the table to me. I look at it and on the top it’s written “Work Contract”.

“You can read to make sure if everything is good and then all you will need is to sign it.” He says and I nod and then take a deep breathe again.

I run with my eyes trough every point and I think that everything is fair for both sides. I look at the table and see a pen on it so I take and spot my sign into the place.

Only now I hear photo cameras’ voices and look around and see few photographers. When did they come here? I frown and then come back to the paper and see if everything is good. Well…probably. I sigh and give my paper back to my…new boss I guess. He looks at me smiling and then stands up from the chair and I do the same. He shakes my hand again.

“I think we will get along.” He says while the photographers are taking shots.

He turns around to the big guy which I notice only now also and he gives something to him. When the director turns back to me he gives me the scarf with England’s flag which is a big symbol of football fans. I turn to the photographers with my new scarf and they take another shot. Coaches always do that when they sign with a new club.

“Now…” says the director and I look at him “…we need to give you other things.” He says and shows somebody to come in. And a woman with a not very big bag with sewing instruments comes in and I lead her with my confused look.

“All our coaches have had special  national team’s clothes. It was costumes, shirts and accessory. Because you’re the first women coach our sewer needs to take your measurements.” He says and I look at him totally surprised of this. I hear this for a first time to say honestly.

“New clothes will receive tonight so there won’t be any problems to wear them. I should inform you that it should be the training suit or the pantsuit.” He says and I just nod while I’m acting a model.

----------------------------------------------

And the big moment is coming closer and closer. I’m in my hotel room which is quite expensive I think because I have everything in here – a king size bed, a TV with satellite, even a mini bar. That federation really knows how to spend money. Probably that’s why it’s called royal.

I put on my new fancy suit with nice logo on it. I don’t know how but they brought me few minutes ago so many clothes that I really don’t understand how that woman managed to do so many. But probably it was because of the money. But anyway I’m here not because I need to find out how much money the federation spends. I’m here to lead the team to a victory…probably.

Somebody knocks on my room’s door and I go there. I open and see Andres or Santiago…I still don’t know which one is which one.

“Ready?” he asks and only now I feel huge wave of worry and fear striking me. My hands start barely shaking and I swallow something in my throat and nod “Let’s go then.” He says smiling like always and I go out of my room, lock it and follow my supervisor.

I take a deep breathe and start to calm myself. After all I will have to answer the questions of journalist and if my voice shakes then everybody will understand how scared and at the same time fragile I am.

>>>>Louis< <<<

Half of the team is sitting at a long table with microphones and others are sitting in the first place of the audience. I’m with those in the audience. The moment is important for whole England because today a new coach will be presented to everybody. Pity that our old coach Vincente (by the way he’s sitting here too like the director of federation) has to leave but I think that some fresh air is a good idea. I probably don’t know the coach which I don’t like so I think I will be happy with any decision.

“Silence please.” Says the director of Federation “We want to start everything.” He says in a strict voice but with a smile on his face and everybody in the hall shuts up. Only few journalists whispered something

“First of all...” starts his speech the director “…We want to thank Vincente for a great job all these years. Because of him we’re the champions of the Europe and we’re really sad that he won’t lead us to the victory of whole world. We want to thank for a great atmosphere in the team, close relationship with players. He helped them whenever he could. And I think that everybody will remember that because, Vincente, you are special and we will never forget you.” He says and stands up “As a thank you gift we want you to accept this...” he says and gives to our former coach a big bag with something in it “And also…Your photo now is in the hall of fame.” He says and everybody starts clapping. The coach stands and with a smile jumping on his face shakes director’s hand.

“Thank you.” Says the coach into the microphone “I will never forget you. You take a big part in my whole life and heart.”
“Mr. Vincente…” says the journalists and the questions for him start…
--------------------------------

“And now…” says the director and stands up “…we want to present you the new coach for our national team who we hope will bring the trophy of the whole world back home. Please meet…” he says with higher voice intonation and shows with his hand at the door. Everybody waits for this moment with excitement. It opens and…! And a woman comes in? Everybody looks at her confused. In the hall whispers appear again. The whole team looks at her while she’s sitting into her place with frowned faces in confused. What the hell is going on here?