014: Broken

Chelsea sat with Scudboat in the betting shop, they had just closed up and she was now helping him sort everything out.

A man had just threw a pile of money onto the floor so Chelsea was stacking it back up whilst Scudboat sorted out closing the shop.

"John will be here in ten minutes, Princess." Polly said, kissing Chelsea on the cheek before heading towards the door.

"Five." Tommy said, also kissing Chelsea on the cheek before making his way to the door, "You sure you don't want to come to the Garrison? Grace is there."

"I'm fine, Scudboat is on his own." said Chelsea, "When John's here I'll come find you and then I can see Grace."

"Okay." Tommy said, "Come find me if you need me, alright?"

"Okay, bye dad!"

"Hey, kid." Scudboat said when Tommy and Polly had left, "Can you lock up please? I'm just finishing this off."

"Yeah." Chelsea replied. She took the keys and locked the door and bolted it, making it impossible for anyone to get in without the key.

"Ah shit!" Scudboat shouted, throwing the pen down on the table.

"What is it?"

"Pens ran out. You don't mind grabbing another one, do you have any in your room by chance?"

"I should do." Chelsea nodded, walking over to the door that led into her house, "If not, I'll pop down to the shop for you. It's only around the corner and they give me stuff for free, because they know dad."

Scudboat sat on his chair, waiting for Chelsea to get back. He jumped up when he heard a creak from outside, "You get one?" he asked, thinking it was Chelsea.

He got no reply.

And then, the double doors bust open, a dozen man came running in holding all sorts of weapons.

Scudboat opened his drawer and pulled out his gun but he was soon overrun when all the men pointed their weapons on him.

"This is for Cheltenham!" One man said, holding a shotgun to Scudboats face, " We're just taking back what's ours!"

He used the end of the gun to hit Scudboats face, knocking him to the floor.

Before they went any further, the man shouted, "Is there anyone else in the house? Anyone?"

Scudboat shook his head, "No. Just me."

"So where's the little girl?"

"With her dad." he coughed, trying to make it seem as truthful as he could in hopes Chelsea would realise something was wrong and run to her dad.

"Check upstairs." The man told them, "See if he's lying."

One man left the others and made his way upstairs, keeping his gun up and aiming it for any oncoming danger.

He got to the top of the stairs and creeped over to a door, hearing some shuffling going on inside.

"Scudboat!" Chelsea shouted, thinking that the footsteps she could hear outside were his, and opened the door, holding a pen, "Look, I found one-"

"Well," the man said, lowering his gun and smirking, "he was lying then."

"I-"

Before Chelsea could process what was happening, the man grabbed her by her hair and hit her head against the door frame, watching as she crumpled to the ground.

The man slowly knelt down beside her, stroking her hair and pushing to behind her ears, "This is your family's fault. You're just collateral damage."

"P-please." Chelsea gasped, her vision blurring as a result of the impact from the door frame, "Let-let me go."