013: Circles

Chelsea and Tommy sat in his office. "Is he here?" Tommy asked at the sound of the engine.

"Yep." Chelsea nodded, heading over to the window and seeing Ben Younger making his way out of his car and to the door, "He's here."

"Take a seat, Princess." Tommy said, "You've got to rest."

"If I hear that word once more, I'm going to jump out of a window." Chelsea groaned before she walked over to the corner and sat on the desk.

Ben made his way to the office and opened the door, walking in and greeting Chelsea before sitting opposite Tommy.

Tommy and Ben spoke about business whilst Chelsea stared out of the window and out at the little children playing football in the street.

She imagined her son playing with them, kicking a ball and then running home to tell his mother about the fun things he had done that day.

"This is a cheque guarantee," said Tommy as Chelsea brought herself out of her imagination, "signed by Mosley on behalf of a man called Jimmy McCavern."

Ben looked over to Chelsea and then back to Tommy, "A check for what?"

"Well, I said it was for the sale of a gun distillery." Tommy shrugged, "but it doesn't matter."

Chelsea stood up and walked to stand behind her father, "It is direct evidence of a link between Mosley and the head of an organised criminal network. He will try to deny any form of relationship after the bonfire of all conventions. It also contains the names of MP's who have signed up to the movement. And those MP's who are sympathetic but will not show their hand until the organisation is announced officially."

"On the second of January." Tommy added as Ben stood up and walked around, "In Grosvenor House. You might want to write some of this down."

"I am experiencing resistance from my superior officers, too." said Ben.

"This isn't intelligence, Younger." said Tommy, "This is evidence. Give it to the Branch."

"Special Branch?" Ben asked, looking from Chelsea and Tommy in shock, "Half of whom spend their lives defunding the Union against Fenians, and the other half who spend their lives defending men like Mosley against socialists. I heard about his speech at your house the other night. It was favourably reported as the passionate and spontaneous outpouring of a man loved by the emotions of a ballet!"

"Reported where?" Chelsea asked.

"Daily Mail, Morning Post, Daily Mirror!" Ben answered, "It's upper, middle and working class all united in admiration. Also, I'm being asked the source of my information on Mosley."

"Which you don't divulge." said Tommy, lighting his cigarette.

"No." said Ben, shaking his head, "As a result, my six-monthly review was unfavourable. They're talking about moving me to a black and coloured desk in Johannesburg. I also suspect there are specific threats to me personally from an organisation called 'Section D'. I believe you've had a dispute with them in the past."

"Sit down, Younger." Tommy spoke calmly.

Ben pinched the bridge of his nose before walking over and sitting where he had been sat before.

"We are now section D." Tommy spoke, "I fucking beat them. You're a soldier, I'm a soldier. There are elements within the state who are prepared to kill. We need to meet them unafraid."

Ben laughed, "Spoken like a true believer. My superiors also ask why the information on Jessie Eden and the communists has apparently dried up. Why has it dried up, Mr Shelby? Your sister has an interesting theory. She thinks perhaps at last Tommy Shelby has actually started to believe in something."