001: The Blackhand

Chelsea's head was forced through the hole and she felt the rope tighten around her neck.

As Chelsea stood there, her whole life flashed before her eyes. Every single bad and good memory she had ever been through.

Chelsea closed her eyes, "I'm coming mom." she whispered, "I'll see you soon."

Chelsea heard the woman grip onto the lever that was connected to the rope and heard the slightest snap of the wood as he began to drag it forward.

Chelsea eyes shot open, she jolted up, breathing heavily as she held two hands on her neck where she had just seen the rope.

Isaiah shot awake, sitting up and pulling Chelsea into his bare chest, "It's all right, Chelsea. It's just a nightmare. You're okay."

Chelsea looked over the top of Isaiah's arms and out the window, a shine of sunlight shone through the crack in the curtains.

"I need air." Chelsea said, scrambling out of bed and grabbing her night cloak, she walked over to the door and turned around to see Isaiah about to get out of bed, "It's alright. I'm just going into the back garden, okay? I won't go anywhere."

Chelsea walked down the stairs and out of the house, standing on their back porch and looking out onto the fields.

She felt Isaiah walk up behind her, wrapping his arms around Chelsea's waist.

"I told you I'm okay." Chelsea whispered, "You should've stayed in bed."

"You haven't been sleeping well, Chelsea." Isaiah said, "You don't speak to me about it anymore. You're not well."

"I'm perfectly fine, sai." Chelsea breathed, "I've been through stuff like this before. It pops up into my head and it'll never go but I'll learn to deal with it."

"Why don't we go and see John?" Isaiah said, turning Chelsea around and cupping her face, "He's going through the same thing, Chels. He's always understood you."

"He won't want to talk about it either. I know my uncle and I know Polly, Micheal and Arthur, they'll all be going through the same thing. I'm going to be fine. Just give me some time."

Chelsea pulled herself from Isaiah's grip and walked back into the house.

There was a knock at the door and Chelsea picked the gun from her pocket, placing it behind her back before she answered.

She let out a sigh of relief when she saw the post man standing there with his usual polite smile.

"Hello, Mrs Shelby." he smiled, "One letter today. Have a good day, Ma'am."

Chelsea smiled back, took the letter, waved and shut the door, leaning her back against it and staring at the letter addressed directly to her.

Chelsea placed the letter on the side and headed upstairs, getting herself ready. She didn't look as bright these days, her hair was never curled, and her skin was always pale.

She could always see Isaiah's worried looks. Every single day, for the past year, Isaiah's face had never once changed, he always looked at her with the same worried look.

Chelsea sighed at her appearance and hurried downstairs.

She saw Isaiah on the phone and he signalled for her to come over.

"It's John." Isaiah said, "He wants to speak to you."

Chelsea took the phone from Isaiah, "Everything okay, John?"

"Chelsea," John said, Chelsea's eyes widened at the sound of how worried voice, "have you had post today?"

"Yeah." Chelsea said, "Why are you asking?"