006: The goodbye

Chelsea Shelby stood outside her younger sister's room in the hospital, her body numb with dread and her heart heavy with sorrow. The antiseptic smell of the hospital filled her nostrils, but she barely noticed. Her thoughts were consumed with Ruby, the seven-year-old girl who lay inside the room, fighting a losing battle against consumption.

Chelsea had been trying to prepare herself for this moment, but nothing could ever truly ready her to say goodbye to her beloved little sister. She wished with all her heart that it could have been her instead, that she could have taken Ruby's place and spared her from the pain.

Steeling herself, Chelsea walked into the room. The sight of Ruby, lying pale and frail in the hospital bed, hit her like a punch to the gut. It wasn't right for someone so young to be going through this. Ruby was supposed to be running around, playing with her friends, and dreaming about what she wanted to be when she grew up. Instead, she was lying here, her bright eyes dulled by sickness.

Ruby's face lit up with a small, tired smile when she saw Chelsea walk in. "Chi," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "You came."

Lizzie, Ruby's mother, seated by Ruby's bedside, looked up as Chelsea entered the room. Her expression was one of weariness and sorrow, her gaze filled with concern for her daughter. Chelsea nodded at Lizzie, a silent exchange of understanding passing between them. She knew Lizzie would give them space for this moment, one they both feared but knew was coming.

"Of course, Ruby. I'd never miss seeing you," Chelsea replied, forcing a smile as she approached the bed and took Ruby's delicate hand in her own. The warmth of Ruby's hand was a comfort, but the sight of her sister's weakened state filled Chelsea with grief.

Lizzie squeezed Ruby's other hand and gave them a knowing smile. "I'll give you two some time to talk," she said softly before standing and quietly leaving the room, closing the door behind her.

Chelsea's heart ached at the sight of Ruby's deteriorating condition. Her sister, always so full of life and energy, now lay confined to a hospital bed, her once-vibrant eyes dulled by pain and fatigue. Chelsea blinked away tears, determined to stay strong for Ruby.

"How are you feeling today, Rupert?" Chelsea asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

"I'm okay, I think," Ruby replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "But I'm tired. Really tired."

Chelsea nodded, squeezing her sister's hand tighter. "I know, Ruby. You've been so brave. I'm so proud of you."

Ruby's breathing was labored, her chest rising and falling slowly. "I had a dream about you last night," she said, her gaze fixed on Chelsea.

"You did? What did you dream about?" Chelsea asked, trying to keep her voice light.

"We were in a big garden, full of flowers. There were butterflies everywhere, and you were singing a song for me," Ruby said, her voice trailing off as she recalled the dream.

Chelsea swallowed the lump in her throat. "That sounds like a wonderful dream. Maybe one day we'll go to a garden like that."

Ruby nodded, a dreamy look in her eyes. "I hope so." She paused for a moment, her expression thoughtful. "Are you sad, Chelsea?"

Chelsea's heart sank at the question. "A little bit, Ruby. I'm sad that you're not feeling well."

"Don't be sad. I'm not scared," Ruby said, her voice calm and steady.

Chelsea's chest tightened with emotion. Ruby's bravery amazed her, but it also broke her heart. "You're so strong, Ruby. I'm proud of you."

Ruby squeezed Chelsea's hand weakly. "Thank you for being with me, Chelsea. I love you so much."