010: Opium

Chelsea, Tommy and Arthur stood in Charlie's Yard, waiting for Polly to arrive.

"He'll be here soon, Princess." Arthur smiled, his one hand resting on Chelsea's stomach, "And he'll be just like his great-Uncle Arthur."

"I think he'll be like his Grandad." Tommy smirked, lighting his cigarette.

Chelsea looked up at her father, "Grandad? What happened to Grandpa?"

"Grandad sounds more personal." Tommy replied, "Grandpa sounds too formal for my grandchild to call me."

"Grandad it is." Chelsea laughed.

Her laughter stopped as a car came driving down the Yard, Polly sat in the back smoking a cigarette. Chelsea smiled, there was never a time where she hadn't looked up to Polly, she was the definition of class and power.

As she stepped out, she stood directly in horse shit and Chelsea grimaced. Five seconds later, Polly came walking over to the three without her high heels.

"I'm sorry for calling the meeting here, but the location is part of the deal." said Tommy, "How does it feel to be barefoot in the mud again, Pol?"

"Makes me feel young." Polly smirked, winking at Chelsea, "What fucking deal?"

"Four boats," Tommy began, "four days, up the Grand Union from Poplar to here. Half the cargo is coal, and underneath the coal. . .pure opium crystal."

"Shit me." Chelsea sighed, falling into the seat behind her, rubbing her eyes.

"Opium?" Polly repeated, "I vote against it."

"They can't use trucks because the trainers drivers get stopped by the police." Tommy explained, "They need to get it out of London because all the warehouses are being searched by Customs. The seven tons is bound for San Francisco, but the outward ship doesn't sail for seven days from Liverpool. They need somewhere safe to store it. All we have to do is take it up the canal and keep it here for a week."

Arthur shook his head, walking around the back of Chelsea and leaning on her shoulders, "We don't fuck with the Chinese though, Tom. Dad always said it."

"Ask yourself, would he turn down £250,000 to drive four boats up the canal with no prospect of inspection?" Tommy asked, his voice slightly raising.

"I vote against it, Tom." Arthur said, his hands squeezing tightly on Chelsea's shoulder but he instantly let go when he saw her wince.

"Polly," Tommy said, turning to Polly in hopes of her agreeing, "£250,000. That's half of what Micheal lost in Chicago. I will ask him to take charge of this business."

Polly leaned forward in interest, "Micheal's position will be reinstated in the company?"

Tommy shrugged, "His period of quarantine will be over."

Arthur shook his head and Tommy turned his attention back to his brother, "Think about it, brother. Four boats sailing up the cut, smelling of woodsmoke and bacon."

"Which one of Charlie's Gypsy diddicoy friends do you trust, Tom, eh?" Arthur question, "With a cargo worth a million pounds?"

"I've already made provision." said Tommy, looking at his daughter, "I'm needed at a meeting, right Chelsea?"

Chelsea nodded.

"Let's vote. Those in favour?"

Slowly, Tommy, Chelsea and Polly raised their hands, "Motion carried." said Tommy, watching as Arthur looked at Polly and Chelsea in betrayal, "Arthur, tell Charlie we need four boats, four tuns of coal before it gets dark. They sail South tonight. And don't forget to go to the Bull Ring and get them three songbirds, Arthur!"