001: The Wedding

Grace had hand picked out the dress that she wanted Chelsea to wear to the wedding. A long green silk dress that would've been very expensive, but being Thomas Shelby's daughter meant that she got it for free. Chelsea had her hair curly, framing her face which was wearing the slightest touch of makeup.

She cried into Grace's arms when the woman asked her to be her maid of honour. She thought that she would just be sat on the pews with her Uncle's, but Grace said she wanted her stood right beside her throughout the whole thing.

Arthur and Chelsea were stood outside the doors to the chapel, going over their walks that they would have to do up to the alter.

Arthur was Tommy's best man and that meant that the two would have to walk in together.

"If you fall over," said Chelsea in a threatening voice, "I will murder you. I will literally drag your bones out of your body and chuck them on a fire!"

"Calm down." said Arthur, the doors to the chapel opened and Arthur looped Chelsea's arm in his, "Your father is getting married today. You can have one stress-free day, alright?"

Chelsea smiled at her Uncle and then they heard the church hymn sound throughout the chapel. Together, they walked in, slowly and gracefully.

Chelsea saw the small smiles off her family as they passed, but on the other side of her, she could feel the cold hard glances of Grace's family staring at her, her family were all dressed in uniform and judging the Shelby side.

They reached the altar and Arthur and Chelsea separated, standing on either side of the altar. Chelsea looked over and saw Isaiah staring back up at her, they both winked at each other before turning back to their original position.

Tommy was the next to walk in, accompanied by Polly at his side. Chelsea smiled, seeing him wearing the traditional blue suit with a blue tie and a white shirt.

Chelsea had always found her father handsome. Not in the way that other older women looked at him or how Grace looked at him, she looked at him how every little girl looked at her father.

He reached the altar, kissed Polly on the cheek and took a few steps up.

He shook hands with his brother before turning to his daughter, kissing her forehead and pulling back and into his position.

The choir began to sing, "In the Bleak Midwinter" as Jeremiah walked in, Isaiah's father, he was the one who was initiating this ceremony.

As he walked in, Grace's family stared in shock and disgust. They came from a very traditional family and weren't used to seeing a black man being treated 'normally'. Although Chelsea never mentioned it to Grace, she hated the lot of them and frequently told her Uncle's and Aunt that they were all a bunch of smelly old toe-rags.

Chelsea's angry thoughts stopped as the choir stopped singing and Grace walked in, holding her father's hand who was also dressed in the traditional uniform.

She had a purple veil covering her face which was a slightly darker shade than her dress, which matched the same material as Chelsea's but a light purple version.

She made her way to the altar and Tommy slowly pulled her veil back, Chelsea couldn't see Grace's face but from her fathers love-stricken look in his eye, she knew that she looked beautiful.

They turned to face Jeremiah who began, "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join together in holy matrimony Thomas Micheal Shelby and Grace Helen Burgess."

Chelsea smiled at Jeremiah's Jamaican accent, she always found it to be soothing. Isaiah had a Birmingham accent but every now and again, the Jamaican accent would slip through and Chelsea loved every bit of it.