004: Micheal Gray

December, 1914, 12pm.

A five year old Chelsea Polly Shelby sat on the sofa, twirling her thumbs around each other, on her own. Her mother and step-father sat in the kitchen.

William. Chelsea hated William. Her father had only gone to war a few months ago and her mother, Annie, had already betrayed him and met another man.

Chelsea preferred Tommy over William and would rather die than call this man 'father.'

Chelsea rolled her eyes when she heard William's voice, "Chelsea, it's your great aunt Elizabeth."

Chelsea jumped up and he was right. Polly Shelby was now emerging into the house.

"Nanny!" Chelsea shouted.

William shook his head at the pair as they hugged each other desperately and walked away from them, going back into the kitchen where Annie sat.

"Oh my sweetheart." Polly whispered, caressing her face, "I've missed you terribly."

"I missed you too, nanny." Chelsea whispered, "Ho-how is Finn?"

"Finn's good." Polly replied, taking a seat on the sofa, "He misses you a lot. Ada too, she doesn't shut up about you."

"Any letters of father?" Chelsea asked.

Polly smiled sadly, "Do you miss him?"

"Yes." Chelsea nodded, "I can't sleep at night. All I think about is him. Do you think he is alive, Polly?"

"Of course he is, my love." Polly said, hugging the 5 year old, "Your dad isn't one to give up, is he?"

"No." said Chelsea, "I hope he lives."

"He will. Especially if he knows he's got you waiting on him. Nothing compares to a parents love, believe me. I had two children of my own."

"Really?" Chelsea said, gasping, "Where are they?"

"Well, that's the problem you see." said Polly, "They got taken away from me when they were no older than you."

"I think I'm getting taken away from my daddy." said Chelsea, she looked behind her and into the kitchen, "They don't like him. Mother used to love father, but now she's found someone else. They won't let me back to him, that if he does live."

"nothing will stop your father from getting to you." said Polly, "Especially not some old withering bags like them two. Your father would run through armies to get to you, he would run through the fire of hell just to hold you, and that's the thing you have to remember. Never forget it, Chelsea, he loves you more than anything else in this world. He'll never love someone more than he loves you."

"I love him too." said Chelsea, "I do, Polly. I'll kill people for him. I will!"

Polly laughed and kissed the girl on the forehead, "Should I be concerned that I believe you?"

Chelsea laughed.

Chelsea was now fourteen. And she had only just remembered that conversation from when she was 5. She had never remebered anything so perfectly.

"You alright?" Tommy asked.

Chelsea nodded silently. She sat next to him in the car. They were on the way to Micheal Gray. Polly's son.

"What if he doesn't want to go?" Chelsea questioned, "What do we tell Pol?"

"This is really important to you, isn't it, Princess?" Tommy asked.