Chapter 10 ❤️

I thank God that it's now lunch time and I don't have to deal with any of the children. Or Cameron, my subconscious reminds me.

I nearly forgot the fact that I had to talk to him about what happened last night too. Who knows, maybe he'll be as open about it as Jack was.

"Cass! Hey!" Jackie grins once she sees me approaching.

I give her a smile and a small wave and take a seat at the packed table in the lunch hall. I look around and see a few clusters of children and counselors who's names I don't know, as well as Mahogany, Nash, Shawn, and the two brothers who have names that start with the letter "C", I think.

My thoughts are interrupted when someone with a mouth full of sandwich talks. "So, Cass," the boy who's name is... is.... is Aaron says? Who cares if that's his name or not, I just won't mention his name in my reply. "Are you excited for the party on Friday?"

My eyes wander around the table and I notice how everyone's stare is on me. Well then. "Um, yeah," I say with a head nod. Not one person has moved or inhaled or exhaled and I'm a little worried for their health. What should be my answer so that these people don't drop dead in their seat?

Aaron swallows then shows his pearly white teeth with a friendly smile, "cool." With that one word, everyone let's out a breath and continues on with their lunch. What the hell just happened?

It was like being in the twilight zone or whatever. Honestly I've never seen an episode of that show, but it seemed fitting so I'll not correct myself. It's like the world literally stopped and waited for my answer before continuing on with everyday life.

"You're still actually considering going?" Jackie asks, sounding a little surprised.

"Yeah. Of course," I state. "I said I was going to so I'll keep my promise. Although, it's a hard promise to want to break, like, who wouldn't want to go to a party?" I chuckle.

The air goes still once again and no one tries to hide their stares. What's going on? "Why do you guys keep staring?" I ask worriedly. "Is their something on my face?"

Jack laughs and my head immediately snaps to him. "No, there's nothing on your face, Cass."

"Then what is it?" I push my question and they all look around at each other. It's like they're speaking with some kind of unspoken language. For a second I wonder if that's what's going on, but then I think about how ridiculous that sounds in my head and shake the thought away.

"Well," Johnson began, "we just thought Alyssa would've turned you by now."

Turned me? "What is this Twilight or something? You guys act like she'll bite me and I'll be part or her and Cameron's army of the undead!" I laugh and the mood lightens up slightly.

"Ok, maybe that's not what we meant exactly but she has a tendency to make people see things her way." Johnson's eyes slide down and clearly they all have memories to pull from. Was I really the only person who gave them a chance since the incident?

"Oh," I say now understanding what he really meant. "I get it." I fight back the urge to add that she has nearly brought me over to her side on several occasions but I'm not on her side-yet. I say "yet" because I'm not on their side either. What Jackie did was fucked up and I fail to see a reason that Alyssa and Cam's group of friends are bad or whatever, but that doesn't matter cause that's not why I'm here now. I'm here because these people seem fun and cool and chill. Also I don't want to hear anymore anti-Camp Counselor Cooler ideas.

"But now we see that we have a shot at winning you over and we'll fight hard for you." Jackie smiles at me but the nice intention of the words don't settle in. Instead I'm hung up on the words "winning" and "fight". Is that all this is? A game to see who could win the new girl over?