Chapter 24 ❤️

"I'm excited for today," I smile as I walk with Alyssa to the sport's field.

Although the sun beat down on us, and I could feel my skin burning and turning red, I didn't mind it. Well I didn't mind it today, because today was the day we played The Hunger Games games. I have always been a fan of the books and the movies so it was cute how we would have our own version of it. Plus you'd be lying if you say you didn't secretly wish you were apart of the hunger games-minus the whole dying thing. Though it might just be more appealing because of Peeta and Gale, there was still something about the suspense of it that made it look fun.

After hearing what I had said, Alyssa began slowing down her walk. "Um... what did you just say?" She questions, clearly wondering if she heard me wrong.

I stuffed my hands in my pockets and shrugged, "just that I was kinda excited for today, that's all."

Alyssa gave me a sideways glance before putting more space between us.

"Cass, are you ok?" She asked, hesitantly.

"Yeah," I half-laugh. "Should I not be?"

"No, no, you can be ok," she assures me and it's my turn to give her a weird look. "It's just that..."

"Just that what?" I ask, when she takes too long to finish her thought.

Alyssa stops and places a hand on my shoulder. I look down at her hand as we face each other and become a million times more confused. Maybe I should be asking if she's ok. "It's just that you don't get excited about watching kids and I'm afraid an alien is inside your body," she says in a hushed voice as if that would keep an alien from hearing her.

I roll my eyes and start walking again. "I'm being serious," I tell her as she chuckles. "I'm excited. Not like I'm gonna tattoo 'hunger games games' across my forehead, but I'm excited for this."

Alyssa nods to show that she's listening. "I'm excited too," she admits and I raise my eyebrows. "I can't wait to shoot all those Counselors that pissed me off!" She cheers and I break into a grin.

"Me too." I agree, although I'm a little disappointed I don't get to shoot some of the little kids. Sadly the campers had to play with campers and the Counselors with each other as well, but still I was just as excited because there was one person I'd be satisfied with taking out just as much as some of my most annoying campers. "Maybe I'll even get to shoot Jack!" I clap and Alyssa grabs my wrists and lowers them to my sides.

"Calm down there, buckaroo, we are just using nerf guns, nothing too serious." I watch her eyes go wide at the thought of my excitement and I roll mine again. "No need to get too excited now."

"Yeah whatever," I retort, ignoring what she said. "So how does this work anyways? Can't I just say I never got shot even if I did? And is the nerf gun the only way to take someone out, because I don't have very good aim."

Alyssa shakes her head, fawning condescension. "Well first off you can't just say you never got shoot because that would be cheating and cheating is bad," she tells me and I pout for effect. "Also they have the Counselors that opted out of playing, walk around as 'peacekeepers' and monitor everything so no one cheats. But for your other question, you'll also have a flag tied around your waist-like they do with flag football and such-and if you get it taken away you're 'dead' but really you're just sent to the lunch hall. And to answer any further question, at the lunch hall you get put on the dead persons list where you wait inside the hall patiently until the sun goes down, and the game goes on pause, and you go to your cabins. Then the game starts up again in the morning and dead people are sent back to the hall and the remaining few hash it out until there's two winners."